cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCOM Error Event ID: 10005 on BESR 7.03

M2A
Level 3
Hi,

I have BESR 7.03 on several servers and I'm seing this error on all these servers several times. My backup and restore works fine and nothing seems to be acting weird but I'm just worried that something might go wrong if I ignore this error. I was wondering if anyone of you had encountered this issue before? The complete message on the event ID is below:

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service Backup Exec System Recovery with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{F3DC957F-00CA-4D2A-A9AD-03FA855AAE38}"

By the way, on top of BESR 7.03, I'm also using Backup Exec 11 Remote Agent as my main back up software.

Thanks very much in advance.

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

At this time there is no single fix for this issue.

In one case, an AV filter driver was causing this issue; the AV software had to be uninstall BESR uninstall, BESR installd first, followed by the AV software. In other it was an install issue where within the registry the value for the key value ‘ImagePath’ in the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Backup Exec System Recovery had to have double quotes around it, (i.e. the value then become  "C\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\VproSve.exe" ). One simply uninstalling and reinstalling corrected the issue. Below are some standard DCOM configuration setting instructions, review them and if applicable to your security policy apply to see if this corrects, for the most of our reported instances a benign issue.

Verify Distributed Component Object Model (<DCOM>) settings

1. Click Start > Run.

2. In the Open box, type DCOMCNFG.EXE, and then click OK

3. Expand Component services.

4. Expand computers.

5. Right click the local computer and choose Properties

6. Select the Enable Distributed COM on this computer check box; if not already selected.

7. From the Default Authentication Level, select Connect.

8. From the Default Impersonation, select Identify.

9.  On the "COM Security tab", under the Access Permissions section click on Edit Limits (Then again on Edit Defaults)

10.  Add the administrator (The user that was logged in when BESR was installed),  System, Interactive accounts. Allow these accounts both Local Access and Remote Access.

11. On the "COM Security" tab, under the Launch and Activation Permissions section add the accounts from step 10 to both the Edit Limits and Edit Default fields. Allow the account both Local Access and Remote Access.

12. Under Component Services\Computers\My Computer\ COM+ Applications tab, click the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Service and click Properties.

13. On the Identity tab, click The System Account (services only).

14. Click OK

15. Close Component Services.

If that does not work and a simple uninstall and reinstall does not work try the following when BESR is installed.

1.   Click Start | Run. Type dcomcnfg

2.   Expand Component Services

3.   Expand Computers

4.   Expand My Computer

5.   Expand DCOM Config

6.   Scroll down until you see V2iMountService

7.   Right-click  V2iMountService and click Properties

8.   Click the Location tab

9.   Clear the checkbox Run application on this computer

10. Click OK

11. Close Component Services

12. Use REGEDIT (NOT Regedt32) to locate the following folder:

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{F3DC957F-00CA-4D2A-A9AD-03FA855AAE38}"

13. Export it then delete it

14. Use REGEDIT (NOT Regedt32) to locate the following folder:

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\APPID{F3DC957F-00CA-4D2A-A9AD-03FA855AAE38}"

15. Export it then delete it

16. Uninstall, reboot and then reinstall BESR see if symptom re-occurs.