Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7.0 and SSR 2011 Desktop

upg3
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

Need help on DLO 7.0 and SSR 2011 Desktop

Can both of this Application co-exist in same server?

is it possible to manage both from single management console or in other words is SSR/DLO integration possible....like DLO was with Backup Exec?

Pls. correct if i am missing/wrong,  As far I understood DLO and SSR both supports disk based backup only...

differrence is DLO is used for garnular file/directory level backup and management from console. SSR used for complete system backup image level (baremetal).

file level backup option is available in SSR but managing backedup file/folder is not possible..?

Thanks in advance for your response.

7 REPLIES 7

Digerati
Level 4

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-system-recovery-2011-dekstops-vs-backup-exec...

As far as I have read, with System Recovery 2011 Desktop - though you can manage centrally but cannot manage file/folder backup from the management console of System Recovery.

Hope this helps

upg3
Level 3
Partner

hi, anyone pls. help on this...

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Can both of this Application co-exist in same server?

Yes, I believe so. Not sure if this has been officially tested though.

is it possible to manage both from single management console or in other words is SSR/DLO integration possible....like DLO was with Backup Exec?

No. They are 2 separate products so have to be managed individually.

file level backup option is available in SSR but managing backedup file/folder is not possible..?

Correct. Central management is only available for full volume-level backups.

upg3
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Digerati and Chris for responding and inputs were helpful.

My customers basic requirement was to protect his Desktop/Laptop data with file level as well as image level backup hence I will suggest both of this products DLO 7.0 and SSR 2011 for Desktop.

But now my concern is...as both of this products are going to be used for Desktop from same Server, this two scenario may come up.

1) I propose one DAS( or iSCSI) box to be connected to this server, where backup data (file/image) from both DLO/SSR getting saved through Server share.

2) As SSR supports NFS..data(image) getting saved from each of the node to NFS shared location.

in each of this case how network congestion is going to be..?

As number of desktop in any environment is generally high comparing to Servers and all this backup data is going to flow over the network....how to calculate bandwith usage in such situation? otherwise customer may fall in a situation where network gets chocked after implementation because of high LAN utilization.

Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, network bandwidth is something you need to think about.

You'll have to think about your backup strategy (when to run full backups, possibly have different start times for jobs etc). There is no right or wrong here - it depends on your environment and how much data is being backed up.

upg3
Level 3
Partner

do we have any reference which can be referred as how much traffic may flow in case a n number of desktop backup initiates....for understanding and in case any changes in LAN in needed. Where in 10/100mbs switches this might occur congestion? 

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry but I don't believe that information exists.

There are just too many variables involved; network infrastructure, size of data being backed up etc etc.