cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database named "RollbackSnapshotTempDB" left after System Recovery 2013 backup

ammacdo
Level 3

We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 server with SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 installed. We have been using Backup Exec 2010 to perform Full and Transaction log backups of the databases in our SQL server, and System Recovery 2010 to backup the entire server. A couple weeks ago we upgraded System Recovery 2010 to 2013 and we noticed our Backup Exec 2010 jobs started failing. After investigating we discovered several databases named "RollbackSnapshotTempDB" were piling up. We tried to right-click the DB and go to properties but received an error message.

The SQL logs showed a lot of errors related to those "RollbackSnapshotTempDB" databases, such as:

Date  7/2/2013 6:07:37 AM
Log  SQL Server (Current - 7/16/2013 8:38:00 AM)

Source  spid400

The operating system returned error 21(The device is not ready.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x00000053fc2000 in file '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy11\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\XXXXXX.MDF'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

And:

Date  7/2/2013 6:07:37 AM
Log  SQL Server (Current - 7/16/2013 8:38:00 AM)

Source  spid400

If I go into the SQL Server Management Studio and and try to delete the "RollbackSnapshotTempDB" databse I receive an error that says "Cannot drop the database because it is being used for replication". However if I take the "RollbackSnapshotTempDB" database offline then I can delete it, and the next Backup Exec 2010 SQL backup job will complete successfully.

These errors seem to indicate a file system problem, however a CHKDSK shows no problems. We have rebooted the server as well with no change.

I have googled this issue until I'm blue in the face and have not found any solutions. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here are more details on the server:

Virtual Server running on ESXi 5.1 Update 1

Physical host is HP Proliant DL380 G6

Storage provided by HP LeftHand iSCSI SAN

Server 2008 R2 with all Windows Updates applied

SQL Server 2008 R2 with all Windows Updates applied

Server has two vCPU's and 12GB of RAM

C: drive has 21GB free

D: drive has 88GB free (D: is where all the SQL data files are stored)

40 REPLIES 40

manishkrsingh
Level 2
Employee

This problem is addressed in upcoming Service pack 2 of Symantec System Recovery 2013.

To delete the TempDB, please follow steps (tempDB and distribution db name will be different as per your environment)

Step 1:

USE master

GO

ALTER DATABASE "RollbackSnapshotTempDB{XXX}"

SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

GO

Step 2:

DROP DATABASE "RollbackSnapshotTempDB{XXX}"

Step 3:

ALTER DATABASE DISTRIBUTION

SET MULTI_USER;

GO