cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differnce between ntbackup,Veritas & Backup Exec

pradip_sisodiya
Level 3

Dear Freinds,

Could you clarify that what is the difference between NTBACKUP, VERITAS & BACKUP. All of the same product?

Regards,

Pradip Sisodiya

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

ntbackup = built-in utility for windows server 2003, no agents for Exchange, SQL --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814583

Backup Exec: Full feature Disk-to-disk-to-tape solution with many agents for Exchange, SQL, etc. -->http://www.symantec.com/products/data-backup-software

Any detailed questions ?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Pradeep

The Main difference with Backup Exec and NBU would be Backup Exec is used to cater enviorment from small to mid size enviorment and is purely windows based S/W (Means Backup Exec S/W can be only installed on windows machines)

NBU is used to cater big to large scale environments and this S/W can be installed on any OS (Like Windows ,Linux ) so considetring its scope and vastness it is very expensive and with lot of features which Backup Exec doesn't have like mutiplexing ,multistreaming etc...

Additionally please check below link which shows comparison table

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/how-does-backup-exec-compare-to-netbackup/

Only note that in the table it says deduplication no for backup exec ,that is wrong Deduplication is there in BE too .....

Hope that helps

Thanks

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

And Symantec System Recovery is a sector-based, volume backup. This means rather than back up files and folders, it will backup the entire volume. In a disaster recovery, the volume is laid back down, sector-by-sector, to the exact state it was when the backup occured. Hope that helps.

pradip_sisodiya
Level 3

Thanks for quieck reply.

And whts about VERITAS & NETBACKUP

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Veritas is the name of the company which is now replaced with Symantec so there is nothing to compare as Veritas. All these products were called Veritas Backup Exec or Veritas Netbackup now they are called Symantec.

Hope that helps

pradip_sisodiya
Level 3

Now a days, is symantec using veritas prodauct ?

If ya then wht is the difference between veritas backup & netbackup, Backup Exc.backup.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

OK let me see if this helps:

Symantec - Large company that handles multiple products from Anti-Virus to identity management.

One of those products is NetBackup. Previously owned by Veritas which was purchased by Symantec

Another product owned by Symantec is BackUp Exec.

The differences between these two products have been explained rather extensively in this thread.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Anything answered now ?

ashish_backup
Not applicable

hi my question is how can any one learn abut the backup and storage techniques..

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

By going to school and studying really, really hard. Or by reading books. Or by asking people at your work. Or you could read every post on every forum on every web site that deals with backups. I would recommend the ADSM forums as a good place to start. Not here. As there are a bunch of intolerant asses such as myself that really hate to read though such obviously intentional obtuse questions like this, that lead people into an ever downward spiral as people like you pretend to not get the answers as it has been explained over and over by people from across the world.

I am sorry if I offended you but if you even read the thread you posted to it would become clear to you that the original poster is one such and if you are not he in another guise then please do not emulate him.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...classic. If I could just give +1 till infinity I'd do that with this post...cool

ashish_backup: Are you the same person as ashish-sharma?