cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to license servers and desktops that are D.R

Rodrigo_Gomez
Level 3
Partner
I Have some servers and desktops dedicated to D.R., so if someone's desktop have hardware problems, I'll make them access his last BESR image through VDI, and then when his desktop is fixed I'll put the same image I used before to restore his desktop.

I already have the license for the desktops, do I need to license the VDI server, or Virtual Desktop, to be able to restore the image on it, even if I'm not going to perform a backup on it?

Does anybody can help me with this doubt?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You only need a to license the machine that you are creating the image of. Licences are for image creation from within Windows or from the recovery CD. You can lay down the image to any machine. No license required for restore. If you don't plan on protecting the restored machine with BESR after the restore,  then no, that machine does not need a license.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Rodrigo,

I am not sure I completely understand your question. If you are using the Windows RDP, and the OS is functioning, I would assume you are fine. If you are using another 3rd party RD tool, you should check with them first.

If I am not understanding the question, please explain.

Thank you.

AndrewPBG
Level 3
The OP has a server running VMWare and uses it to restore V2I images and run them when a desktop fails. I'll suspect that the VMWare instance is accessed through temporary machine such as an old spare with a base Windows installation or a thin client.

He wants to know if any sort of license is needed for the VMWare server to use the SRD on, or if the license for the desktop can be moved to the VMWare server while a new desktop is brought in to replace the dead one. Backups are not needed while the image is running in the VMWare session, just the SRD for the initial restore.

I do know the actual BESR software won't flip out when its license is moved from machine to machine, but it would be nice to know the legalities from a licensing standpoint (particularly since we aren't just going desktop to desktop, but desktop to server). It's essentially a question of where the BESR license is tied to - the hardware, the OS instance, or the individual licensee/company?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I am not sure about the licensing portion of the actual software. That would be a good question ideal for our licensing team. Email them at license@symantec.com and they can point you in the right direction.

As for the SRD, it does not require a license to restore an image. However, in order to use the RestoreAnywhere feature, the image being restored had to have been created with a licensed version of BESR. You can create images from the SRD (called 'cold imaging') in 8.5, but that requires the license key you got with the software.

Rodrigo_Gomez
Level 3
Partner
Thank You Guys, the idea is basically that, I'll have my "production" machine licensed so, do I need a license in the machine i'll recover the image even if I dont intend to protect it?

I'll ask the license team and them I'll post the answer for yours feedback.

Tks,

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You only need a to license the machine that you are creating the image of. Licences are for image creation from within Windows or from the recovery CD. You can lay down the image to any machine. No license required for restore. If you don't plan on protecting the restored machine with BESR after the restore,  then no, that machine does not need a license.

Rodrigo_Gomez
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Andreas.