cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SSR automatically delete off old recovery point after a new recovery point set is created

hq_lancer
Level 2

Hi,

I am using Symantec System Recovery 2013 and i have set the backup to create a new recovery point set on the 1st day of the month with limits on the incremental recovery point set at 30.

So rightfully at end of the month, i will have 1 full base backup and 30 incremental set

Can i check if SSR 2013 will automatically delete off the 30 old incremental point set + old full base backup after the full backup is done on the 1st day of the month assuming i have enough disk space.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Regards,

Jeffrey

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

What have you specified for 'Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup'?

If this is set to 1, the first set (full+incrementals) will be removed once the next full backup has completed.

hq_lancer
Level 2

Hi,

Thank for the reply. i have set the 'Limit the number of recovery point sets' to 30 cos my retension policy is 30 days. i need to be able to restore anything within that month.

By setting that to 1, does that mean i willl have only 1 incremental backup?

criley
Employee Accredited

I think you have misunderstood what that setting is for. Let me try and explain:

That setting specifies how many sets you want to retain. A set is one full backup plus all the associated incrementals.

The schedule you set will determine how many incremental backups you have - first time the backup runs it will do a full backup, everything else will be an incremental. Within the schedule you also specify when the next set will be created - weekly, monthly etc.

Hope that helps.

hq_lancer
Level 2

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advise.

Need further clarification on this portion. if i set 'Limit the number of recovery point sets to 2 and new set is created monthly, at the third month will it delete off the oldest full backupset plus all the associated incrementals?

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, that is correct.