cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does restore to dissimilar hardware really work?

Michael_Howe
Level 2

I have tried half a dozen times with BESR Desktop 8 to backup a Dell Latitude D600 (93GB hd) and restore the image to a Dell Latitude D620 (150GB hd) and it never works ... it gets to 99% finished on the restore then throws an error (I don't have the exact error but it is something like   XXX~Region~00000 not found). Upon the reboot I get the familiar 0x0000007B error. I have followed to the letter the recomendations in http://support.veritas.com/docs/293332

One possible issue is when I created the backup of the original system, it couldn't see the C: drive. The only way to back it up was to click the "Show Hidden Devices" which then revealed *:\ as the C: drive. When I go to Manage->Disk Management, the boot volume does not have a drive letter (which may or may not be a problem.)

After running the restore and not being able to boot, I can boot using the SDR and then explore the restored volume and see all the data that was restored. It just won't boot.

I can provide much more information if someone can help. Thanks &

Cheers.

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Does the image file, once opened in the recovery point browser, show, in the explorer like view, a drive letter for the system partition; if not the RAO engine will not likely be able to parse the drive to retarget the needed mass storage controller drivers (i.e. the 7b stop error message) or the HAL and other windows settings unless it can open the restored drive by . The drive letter assignment needs to be fixed before any further attempts in creating an image occurs.