cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Controller System Restore

a6viper
Level 3

I had take a system image with symantec system recovery 2013 trial version on windows server 2008 R2 domain controller. When i take the image with symantec system recovery all the options were the default i did not chage anything on system recovery.I restore the dc on my pc .The dc and my pc have the same architecture x64 but have dissimilar hardware so restore anyware was check.During restore the only message that symantec show me was to give drivers for ethernet adapter then i press ignore.When the restore finished i restrared my pc and everything was fine.When show me the screen with the message set up start service then my pc restared all the time. On my domain controller i go to server manager -> Disk Management and i did not saw System reserved.

Disk Management.jpg

Does anyone have the same issues with me because without system reserved i think i can not restore the DC. How i can create the system reserved now???

12 REPLIES 12

criley
Employee Accredited

Did you backup the system reserved partition on your source server?

When doing the restore, what option did you choose when selecting the recovery point (date, filename or system)? If you choose system or date, it will allow you to select the system index file and will restore everything in one go (i.e. all partitions that you backed up in the original job).

Hope that helps.

a6viper
Level 3

The photo show the original domain controller and it does not have system reserved

criley
Employee Accredited

Then is there a problem here..?

Not all servers have a sys reserved partition.

a6viper
Level 3

Any solution for this problem without format the DC ??

criley
Employee Accredited

But what is the problem? Is there a problem here?

You stated that the source machine does not have a system reserved partition so clearly that wont be needed for restore. Have you actually tried a restore yet?

As I mentioned before, not all servers have a sys reserved partition (it depends how the OS was originally installed).

a6viper
Level 3

Yes but when i tried to restore the machine when i get to this image all the time it restared.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Since this is a DC restore , did you uncheck the option "Run mini setup ? "

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would like to know if it worked ?

a6viper
Level 3

TRaj were is mini setup on recovery disk???

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is a hidden option while you perform a restore

You need to hold the control key and click on "Restore Anywhere" , it will give a pop up window with three options

Delete existing drivers , prompt for the drivers and Run mini setup. You need to uncheck Run mini setup.

Please check : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55329

a6viper
Level 3

TRaj i uncheck the mini setup but the server restart all the time.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please open a ticket with support to check the environmental details