cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont understand various feature of S.R. ?

colin_marr
Level 5
We have Veritas 9.1.

We are looking at getting System Recovery 8.5.

We have several questions I would apreaciate it if someone could specifically answer these questions.

Can you use this to backup and restore Exchange server and SQL Server?

Do I have to buy any extra SW parts to do this?

Im confused by the Optional "System Recovery Granular Restore"  does this come with the S.R. software or is this extra.

If you have this software why do I need the Veritas Backup Exec 9.1. Isn't  SR. going to do the backup for you. Im confused that if you can granuarly restore files why do I need Veritas 9.1.

Thanks. 
2 REPLIES 2

marcogsp
Level 6
Please see my comments here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-i-use-besr-its-own-backup-software

The Granular Restore option for Exchange and SharePoint is an option you have purchase.  No granular restoration of SQL items is yet available.

The big difference is that BESR is better suited for en masse distater recovery of a completely dead server.  The bare metal restore option for BEWS is really only good for restoring to the same sytem if memory serves me correctly.

Also need to add that BESR is not capable of backing up to tape medium.  Hard disk based mediums work best with BESR where speed is concerned.  I believe optical media is supported, but I have no experience backing up to optical media with this product

colin_marr
Level 5
thanks for your comments