cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EC8F17E6: Cannot enforce size and count quotas.

mstirnemann
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

we configured a share on a nas named "\\nas01\besr". Then we installed BESR 2010 on 16 computers. All of them have the backup destination "\\nas01\besr" but with the option to save the backup files in a identical Subfolder enabled.  On all Clients is the automatic Diskspaceoptimisation enabeld. Now we get many times the "Error EC8F17E6: Cannot enforce size and count quotas" as an email and in eventlog.

What is the recommended way to get rid of these messages?

best regards

Martin

3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

One possibility is that when BESR attempts to use the OPTIMIZE feature, it will query the size, freespace, etc. through CIFS. Your NAS may not like, or does not support, the query BESR is sending to it. To test this theory, setup the same job to go to a local USB or other device and see if optimize will work that way.

To get around this, rather than using than using the OPTIMIZE feature, use the feature to  limit the number of image sets saved.

mstirnemann
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for the reply. I had a look to the manual on page 160, but it seems i dont understand the "Automating management of backup data" feature. We already set the "Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup" to the value of 2 for every single job we configured on the 16 Windows Clients.

When i go On the Tools page>Manage Backup Destination> settings, the Option "Select Limit file versions for file and folder backups" is gray and disabled.

When i disable the "Automating management of backup data" feature and leave the "Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup"=2 setting in the job, will the BESR delete old restore Points execpt the 2 newest or will it create restore Points until the harddisk is full?

Best regards

Martin

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, BESR will keep 2 full backup sets there at all times, and will not delete the oldest until the latest backup is complete. Thus, you will need to have enough room on your backup destination for 3 backup sets. If the disk does get full, you will receive an error to either let BESR clean it up, or you can do it manually yourself. This method is used widely by many BESR users, and works well.