cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to include drivers into SSR-Disk?

azev
Level 2

Hello all,

I wanted to use Symantec System Recovery to backup around 160 Dell desktop clients, which are different hardware types (various Optiplex and Precision). When trying to restore an image to another hardware configuration many devices were unrecognized in the device manager. Reading the documentation confused me a little; it was about the 32 and 64 Bit thing: Including the most necessary drivers (like NIC, Memory controller or chipset) to the PE to get it working (in 32-Bit) was not really comfortable (handing over each single .inf needed) but did the job for me.

Now I was asking myself how to include 64 Bit drivers for restoring Windows 7 and is there any possibility to avoid adding every single .inf, like a folder "Drivers" on the disk where you can easily add whole driver folders (like Intel chipset or NIC)??

Thanks for reading and your answers in advance,

sincerly azev

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So you used the create custom SRD wizard already for the 32 Bit version of you SRD ?

azev
Level 2

Hello Markus,

yes, I used the wizard to create my custom SRD but as mentioned that was neither a good nor an easy solution.

sincerly azev

criley
Employee Accredited

Now I was asking myself how to include 64 Bit drivers for restoring Windows 7 and is there any possibility to avoid adding every single .inf, like a folder "Drivers" on the disk where you can easily add whole driver folders (like Intel chipset or NIC)??

Sounds like you are asking for a 'bulk' upload method? Unfortunately drivers must be added one at a time.

azev
Level 2

So you have absolutely no chance to avoid adding every single .inf one by one?

criley
Employee Accredited

Afraid not.

How many drivers are we talking about here?

azev
Level 2

Unfortunately about too many computer models:

-Optiplex (GX280, 745, 755, 760, 780, 790, XE)

-Precision (380, 390, T3400, T3500)

Let me please ask one further question: x64 drivers are included the same way like the x86 versions?

Regards azev

criley
Employee Accredited

You can add 32 and 64 bit drivers, yes.

However, only 32bit drivers will work when you are trying to get hardware to work in the recovery environment before running a backup/restore.

64bit drivers are only used when doing a restore anyware (i.e. if restoring a 64bit operating system, the restore process will look into the database on the recovery disk for drivers for the hardware that you are restoring to).

Hope that helps.