cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EA3905F3: Cluster beyond end while using a restore from a virtual machine backup.

BackUp2GoFwd
Not applicable

I converted my backup server running BE System Recovery 8.5 on a Windows 2003 R2 environment to a virtual machine on my VMware ESXi 4.1.0 host. After some testing I was ready to move the virtual machine back it original physical machine. I created a backup of the virtual server and performed a BE System Recovery restore using the Virtual machine backup image. The Virtual machine was created from the powered on physical machine yet when I attempted the restore the process got to 99% completion when it prompted the error "Error EA3905F3: Cluster beyond end".

I tried the restore multiple times with various options selected but I continued to receive this error. Even though the disk size of the virtual machine matched the disk size of the physical machine, because I had read earlier posts indicating the problem was suspected to be a result of the imaged disk being too large for the disk being restored, I decided to change the size of the physical disk by changing the raid array from a mirror to a stripe array which doubled the drive capacity of the system I was restoring to.

The next restore was successful. I hope this helps someone finish thier day sooner than they otherwise would have.

1 REPLY 1

Symanticus
Level 6

Hm.. I also facethis same problem too, I wonder what should I do if my current new hardware got lesser / smaller disk partition than the disk backup total partition size. (But the amount of data used disk size in he image is still lesser).

How come it is still failed to restore ?