cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EBAB03F8 still occurs in SSR 2013 R2

Anguel
Level 4

Hi!

I have installed SSR 2013 (R1) on about 10 current Dell Optiplex PCs with Win 8.1 Pro (Update 1). I have setup two simple daily backups: One full backup to a server on my network and one incremental to a PC's local HDD. On every PC now and then the incremental backups fail with the strange error:

EBAB03F8: 'CHECK failed, Computer::CreateImageFile: Computer.cpp(1517): guid != Guid() && sequence != 0xffffffff && sequence > 0.'. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

This means that the incremental backups cannot be created successfully for some unknown reason and a new base has to be recreated next time the backup runs. This is really annoying and I had reported this error in the past without receiving any solution here in the forums. Now I hoped that SSR 2013 R2 would finally solve the problem but it did not. I upgraded one PC to SSR 2013 R2 (yes you really have to pay for this "updgrade") and the same error occurs again.

The main error reference I found is this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217964

I wonder how long Symantec needs to get this hotfix tested and merged into the release. I am getting this error on each of my PCs and I am seriously considering to switch to a different backup product if the issue is not going to be solved immediately because it makes the program useless.

Other knowledge base articles state that the error might be caused by another backup program installed. There is no such program installed. Anti-virus used is from Symantec (Norton Internet Security) so this should have been tested at least to work ok...

Anguel

56 REPLIES 56

criley
Employee Accredited

I am double checking this fix (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217964) is included in R2. I believe it is but I just want to be sure.

The error you have quoted above seems to be slightly different - '1517' instead of '1500' is mentioned.

Do you have a support case opened for the issue with R2?

Anguel
Level 4

Well, I just saw this error reoccur on my R2 installation and causing the backup to fail. I suppose the '1517' is some line number in the SSR source code and they have probably added some lines in R2, so the piece of code causing the error is now 17 lines down below?

I have not opened a case because this is a known error and I don't have much time to spend to explain things to Symantec support. I don't know how US support is but here in Germany it is really hard to communicate with phone support and make them actually understand what I mean. For example, I needed one phone call + 5 e-mails to explain to a lady that R2 requires a different key than the one I have for R1. She did not understand.

I just expect the program to finally work for such simple things, if not, I have to look elesewhere.

Anguel

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not a developer so I cannot answer your question about what exactly the numbers refer to.

Sorry to hear about your previous experiences with support.

I have confirmed that the issue is fixed in R2 (I have now updated the TechNote to reflect this). It would appear what you are seeing is a different issue.

This will require a new support case so the issue can be investigated further. If you can open a case and let me know the case number, I'd be happy to work with you directly. For what it's worth, I'm based in the UK.

Anguel
Level 4

Chris,

I still believe this is exactly the same error but please let me know what is the best way to report the error in this case? Thanks.

Anguel

criley
Employee Accredited

Check the following log:

\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Logs\Symantec System Recovery.log

This will show you the error. However, the encrypted debug logs will most likely need to be reviewed by support to understand what is going on here. Potentially our engineering team will also need to review these logs if a product fix is required. Hence my recommendation to open a support case.

As I said, I can work with you if you let me know the new case number.

Anguel
Level 4

Ok, is there a link to open such case or do I have to do it via phone?

criley
Employee Accredited

Online or via phone. Details here:

http://www.symantec.com/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Anguel
Level 4

Thanks Chris,

The case number should be: 07645864

Anguel

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks Anguel. I'll be in touch shortly ....

Anguel
Level 4

Thanks Chris,

I have uploaded the required data, hope you have received it because the first upload failed for some reason.

Anguel

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

I participated in the beta for SSR 2013 R2 and I received this error on one of my machines

Error EBAB03F8: A check that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. ’CHECK failed, Computer::CreateImageFile: Computer.cpp(1517): guid != Guid() && sequence != 0xffffffff && sequence > 0.’. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

You appear to have the same error.  My error occured on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 running Win 8.1 Pro which the beta team told me was not supported.  However they gave me a registry entry that created a new parameter in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VTrack. 

At this time I won't give the actual correction for fear of causing more harm than good.  The new parameter actually resolved the error and incrementals starting completing sucessfully. However, since the correction Smart Reconcilliation often kicks in when I do an incremental backup even though the machine was previously properly shutdown.  Beta Support team told me this registry fix  would be intergrated in the final release of SSR 2013 R2.

Chris, my beta support incident number was SSR2013R2-INC-008 if that helps.  I am not sure that my incident is related to Anguel's but I thought I would throw this information out there.

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for this information. I am sending it on to our engineering team along with the details of this issue that Anguel has reported.

Anguel
Level 4

CQ,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I observe the problem on my old SSR 2013 R1 installations and now on R2.

With my SSR 2013 R1 installations the error also appears on different OS and HW: In this case a HP Elitebook Notebook with Windows 7 Pro in contrast to the Dell Optiplex 9020 PCs with Win 8.1 Pro. I also observe PCs failing every few days, then "fixing" themselves (i.e. doing proper incrementals for a day or two) and then failing again and then working for a few days and then failing again. Other PCs seem to "fix" themselves and the problem does not appear again. Very strange...

Anguel

RobertDSE
Level 2

Same problem here on two Windows 8.1 deskptops with Symantec System Recovery 2013R2 (11.0.2). Only difference is the the error "computer.cpp(1500)" instead of "computer.cpp(1517)". No incrementals are made, only a full backup works.

I've opened a new case (07685646) at Symantec. I really hope we can fix this issue very soon, as the incremental backups are an important part of our backup service (uploading incrementals by FTP).

criley
Employee Accredited

Hi Robert,

It's possible that you are seeing a different issue. We'll need to review the logs before we can confirm this.

I'm going to take over the case and will contact you shortly...

RobertDSE
Level 2

Just would like to post an update on this issue after research and fast daily support by Chris Riley.

First of all I was not aware using Symantec System Recovery 2013 SP2 in stead of Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2. It was a new license and expected to download the newest version of Symantec System Recovery by serial number. Meanwhile I've upgraded the license and installed the newest Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 version.

Unfortunately it didn't help. Also this 2013 R2 version gave the same safeguard error, but with "computer.cpp(1517)", just like Anguel.

Strangest thing is that we use the older SSR 2013 SP2 at a lot of customers, but never seen this error. So it has to be a hardware related issue. We delivered two new workstations to a customer and both workstations have the same error.

After sending a lot of logs to Symantec support, I've tried to reproduce the problem at the office on a new HP ProDesk 490 G1 test workstation (out-of-the-box). Using the default SanDisk SSD disk that came with the test workstation, there was no safeguard error. I replaced the SSD disk to a Samsing 840 EVO disk and did a new factory default install. At this point, incremental backups failed with the safeguard error.

So by reproducing this error, I was able to isolate the cause of the problem to the Samsung 840 EVO (our test workstation) and Samsung 840 PRO (at our customer) SSD disks. When using these SSD disks a full backup will succeed, but an incremental backup will fail with an safeguard integrety check error.  At home I use a Samsing 850 PRO disk without any problems, so it seems to be related to the Samsung 840 series only. Firmware updates (BIOS/SSD) didn't help solving this problem.

At this time of writing, the problem is still under investigation by Symantec and informed about the problems with the Samsung 840 SSD disks.

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks Robert.

The following article can be used as reference for this issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH226271

The issue is under investigation at this time. Once there is an update, I will post back here.

Any questions, just let me know.

Anguel
Level 4

Robert,

Thank you for the feedback! The Dell Optiplex 9020 machine I upgraded to SSR 2013 R2 is also using a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. But the other machines failing are using 850 Pro SSDs (although the error occurs with SSR 2013 R1 there as I have not upgraded them to R2). All machines have over provisioning enabled via Samsung Magician.

The strange thing is that after a couple of weeks the failing machine seems to have "fixed" itself now although I have not changed the configuration. But this is no solution as other machines were failing then working ok and then failing again...

UPDATE: I installed a trial of SSR 2013 R2 on a new Dell with a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD and the error also occured with the incremental job. So I also see the problem with 850 Pro SSDs.

Anguel

Gerhard_G_
Level 3

Hello, I got exactly the same error on my Samsung 840 Pro SSD with SSR 2013 R2 Trial version (50 Days left) This is an Issue, because I don't have enough space on the backup target, due to other drives I'm saving there too. Also complete base backups are much more time intensive.

So, I'm very interested in a solution and when the issue might be solved.

Gerhard