cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EC8F17B7 Cannot create recovery points for job: My Computer Backup

brian_brotschi
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified
Error E7C3000F:Device \\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 8216 sectors starting at LBA 13287048.  Error EBAB03F1: The request could not be performed because an I/O device error

during the most recent attempt to create a recovery point, I even configured the job for "Ignore bad sectors during copy".   This is after having booted from a Win2K Pro SP2 boot disk, entering recovery console and running chkdsk /r.  Which found some disk errors and apparently fixed them.

what is most unusual is that during the last attempted to create the recovery point, the system restarted sometime during the time BESR is running (and before it completed)

Any ideas would be helpful.
16 REPLIES 16

Mr_G1
Level 3

Same here, bought 5 copies for 5 servers, installed 3 copies but all say Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of DATA (D:\). Error E0BC000A: The saved initial state for applying changes does not match the current system state. Error E0BC000B: Object Segment SME~Computer~BgM0C1CC376Region-0~SM0C1CC376Region-0-1 is incompatible. Error E0BC000B: Object Segment SME~Computer~BgM0C1CC376Region-0~SM0C1CC376Region-0-2 is incompatible. Error E0BC000C: Object WindowsDevice SME~Computer~Sg71537153 was in the saved state but is not in the current state.

Details: 0xE0BC000A

What gives with that, have uninstalled and reinstalled, run the fixinstall.bat still nothing, called Symantec (as per this error is fixed in ver 7.03 and 8, if not call Symantec) but was told I had to buy support or they will not help me. Did you manage to come right with yours??

Mr_G1
Level 3
Update, it seems I can run a one time backup but the schedulker does not work at all, just spits error, has anyone managed to get this product to work, been at it a week now and still not working. Is the only solution to go in to the office at 11pm to run the one time backup??????????????

brian_brotschi
Level 3
OK, here is what has happened since I last encountered this error message with BESR 7.0.1.  The primary disk which was being backed up, started exhibiting additional integrity issues.  I decided to replace the systems primary disk (was Samsung 350B), with a new disk Seagate 750GB.  Since I also have access to BESR 8.x.x, I installed and configured BESR 8.1.1 after performing a clean install of the OS and APPS on the new disk.

I know that this does not directly address the scenario which you are experiencing, however BESR is now performing two scheduled tasks
1) Sun & Thurs @ 11PM a computer backup of the c:\ (system files)
2) Daily @ 6PM a backup of j:\ (user created files)

the target drive is a External USB attached 500GB Maxtor drive. 

Mr_G1
Level 3
Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply, that is not the case here. The servers are all new, new hard drives and freshly installed. I have reinstalled one from scratch again but to no avail, I just keep getting the Error EC8F17B7 which refers me to Symantec who then want to sell me a support package to make the programs work. The only way I can get a backup out of this program is by doing a one time backup manualy. I have installed another program which works and tested the scheduler with various programs and all work fine.

Any sugestions welcomed

brian_brotschi
Level 3
send me your personal email, and I can see what I can do to escalate.  I am mine is firstname_lastname@symantec.com

Mr_G1
Level 3
Hi Brian

Email sent to you, let me know if you need any more info. I have now tried uninstalling (again) and downloaded the trial but alas the error is still the same, have tried on 2 servers. They are still in trial (did not enter the License key just in case they see me as trying to reg the same copies over and over). I can supply you the license keys by other means as required but will wait for your email reply.

Thx
Mr G

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Mr. G are you still having this issue; how about with BESR 8.51 build?

Mr_G1
Level 3

Hi David

That was the solution or was it, after 3 months of troubleshooting Symantec support supplied a link to the new version which worked without a hitch. I was assured that the licese keys would work and the case was closed, for 2 months we had a trouble free backups untill the Trial Expired and I was again told by Syamntec Support that I must purchase the new version and or support.

So to answer your question NO after 8 months we are still in the same boat we started in, less the clients who cancelled our services due to the inabillity to make the products we sell work. Ver 8.51 at least works unlike the buggy early versions of 8 but as we a system builder and buy the system builder packs Symantec Support are not interested. I managed to get a case number but it is going nowhare, current case number 281-467-765 where despite being told to upgrade and close the case (as it worked), we are now being told we do not qualify for the working version and to go back to the buggy ver 8, and no you can't reopen the previous case opened by Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

A few comments concerning your issue.

I Quote an email I recieved from a Symantec employee on 09/25/2008: "...you can buy initial maintenance within 30 days of the original purchase, after that it requires a purchase of an upgrade license with maintenance."

We too have been selling the System Builder's version of BESR that does not include maintencance and we've also been denied free upgrades when the older version failed and the only solution that Symantec could recommend was to upgrade to a new version of BESR.

Here's a handy table to help you purchase the right product numbers in the future:

http://symantec-besr.blogspot.com/2008/12/besr-product-numbers-and-besr-licensing.html

I'll be posting more information to the blog in the near future concerning product numbers for upgrades, maintenance, etc.

Mr_G1
Level 3
Let me see, you need to buy Maintenance as BESR often does not work and you need to upgrade to a new version!! If you don't have maintenance you have to pay again!! Is that really what you are saying??

Imagine if Microsoft took that line, if you can't get Windows XP to run you have to buy Windows XP SP1 and pay again, then if that does still not work after some time you need to buy Win XP SP2, then SP3, just keep buying new copies of Windows XP till you get to one that works for you!! If you still can't get it to work, despite buying 3 copies of same program, the program they advertised would do x then you need to buy a Microsoft Maintenance plan.

Mr_G1
Level 3
Think about what you are saying, suppliers of software have a responsibility to ensure that the product they sell works, if it does not they have to make it work or refund the buyer without question. You have a car, right? You bought it new but you can't get it to drive all the way home. Do you have to buy a maintenance plan? Do you just buy the newer model? No you take it back and they make it work as advertised, if they are unable to they either replace it, upgrade it (new Motor, gearbox, computer), or refund you (almost never).

Mr_G1
Level 3
I am a reseller, I do not code the programs and have no control over the quality of the product. All I see is the advertised end result, a program which backs your servers, on a schedule, without user intervention and that’s not all, it can restore to different hardware if disaster strikes. It also has the ability to email you the results of the backups so you don’t have to worry whether the backups ran or not! Does that sound like BESR? No it does not as it does none of these things actually run, but wait, for just $999.99 you can upgrade to the new version which will work! What the? Didn’t I just buy that? Mine said it would do all those things too, so what you are saying is that you sell shiny silver coasters, only if you buy maintenance do you actually get a working product.

Is that what we are really saying?? Is that the future of Software?? Is that Microsoft's new model??

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
Hey, I don't work for Symantec. We have the same problem with one of our customers' 7.0 installs right now and we have been refused a free upgrade also. He's running on an 8.5 Trial which works but we're being told by Tier 2 support that we have to purchase the new software.

Mr_G1
Level 3
I never said you work for Symantec nor am I getting at you. Sure Ver 7 to 8 is a complete upgrade, 7 was some time ago, but v8 not being able to work from day one, charging to get ver 8.x is just not on. Thus the example of applying Symantec's logic to other purchases one might make. 

You repeated the Symantec line, (it must be a line as it is repeated by staff work for word) that if it does not work you need to upgrade to a new version, if you do not have maintenance you need to purchase a new copy. Never mind that you just purchased this copy and it does not work, or more to the point, multiple copies, none of which work. I just pointed out that if all software (and other) suppliers worked by Symantec’s logic the world would be a different place, I could even be offering Software products to rival Symantec’s own, knowing that they don’t even need to work until I start selling maintenance plans to go with them. Cars would be supplied without engines  or doors and supplied to anyone who failed to include a maintenance plan when ordering .

Mr_G1
Level 3
.... and don't worry, I tier up 2 when I have to call support.....

Tony_Stirk_Iron
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
On Windows 2008 Server (all relevant patches) with BESR Server version 8.5.6.36057 with the Google index options checked, I get the following error:

"Error EC8F17B7:  Cannot create recovery points for job:  Drive Backup of (C:\).  Error E0BB0191:  Search engine support cannot be enabled for this incremental image.  Error EA3905ED:  Required file attribute missing.  Error:  E0BB0191:  Search engine support cannot be enabled for this incremental image.  Details:  Source:  Backup Exec System Recovery."

I had enabled Google Desktop and Backup Exec Retrieve search engine support and included system and temporary files.  Removing those check boxes allows the backup to run.