cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EC8F17B7 along with Error ED800012: (CRC Validation) is invalid & Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service

Zaid_1a
Level 3

Hi

I am trying to backup a PC using SSR2013 (Desktop ed). I have created a custom backup job to run on schedule but the backup continuously fails. I find the following error in the event log afterwards:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\), (D:\).
 Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: VSS_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (-2147212536). (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

After running the job manually, I find the following in the event log:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\).
 Error ED800012: The internal structure of the recovery point file (CRC Validation) is invalid, damaged or unsupported. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

I have been trying a few solutions found on the Symantec website regarding these errors, but have not received any good results. I have also not found a solution that relates to SSR2013...

Thanks

Zaid

16 REPLIES 16

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203082 is for SSR 2013 for error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service

Does this help?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Also you can perform a chkdsk /r /f and disk defrag to check any disk errors.

Zaid_1a
Level 3

Hi

I have come accross the first solution and have run the vssadmin command. This showed only the Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider. No other providers are available.

I have already performed a standard 'chkdsk /f' on the system with no results. I did not think it neccessary to perform a '/r' as well because the hard-drive in question is a brand-new one (although I am running that presently just in case...). What actually happened is that I previously used to backup the PC using Microsofts Imagex tool. After purchasing licenses for Symantec System Restore (I was very impressed with it's ability to restore to different hardware), I installed it on this PC. We found that after installing SSR, we could no longer remotely access any of this PC's shared folders. Once SSR was un-installed, shared folder functionality was restored. I attempted re-installing the app a few times and a few other common troubleshooting steps without luck, afterwhich I tried google. I read a suggestion somewhere of trying the FixInstall tool which I tried without success. After this I tried Symantec's emergency-uninstall utility (that was available for download along with FixInstall) and this caused the PC to Blue-screen on restart and the system became inaccessible. In order to minimise downtime, I simply restored the the image created with Imagex onto another HDD (I fixed the shared folder issue as described here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/not-enough-server-storage-available-process-command) . I am now experiencing the issue as above.

Many Thanks for the replies...

-Zaid

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How about removing "Microsoft Imagex Tool" You tried everything with SSR ,however you could have tried removing Microsoft Imagex tool or soething better.

Are you running backups with "Perform full VSS" option enabled.

If yes , disable the same and run the backups , update the same with the results.

Zaid_1a
Level 3

Hi TRaj

Imagex is not an installable program. It is a command-line offline-backup tool that Microsoft offers. It is also Hardware dependant (for Windows XP): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722145(v=ws.10).aspx

I have tried running the job with the "Perform full VSS" option enabled and disabled. Still no luck...

Many Thanks

-Zaid

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No luck as in , does the behaviour change by enabling or disabling "Perform full VSS" or is it the same ?

Do you receive exactly same error message yet ? Have you checked Event log ? Does is show any event running after the failure ?

Also is your Volume Shadow Copy Service running ? If Yes Is it manual or Automatic ?

Also I checked information about ImageX, it seems like it cannot be scheduled , no turn ON and OFF commands.

It's just apply , capture , delete , mount , mountremove. It seems to be manual

What time do you run ImageX and SSR schedule ?

Try a "repair" install of SSR and then run the backups.

Are all the backups failing , even the full as well as incremental ? has any of them ever succeded ?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Try service pack 2 for SSR 2013  : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214768

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Any updates ?

Zaid_1a
Level 3

Hi TRaj

I appologise for the silence. Please give me some time to try the last solution out (i.e. install SP2). I am pretty tied-up with other urgent matters at present.

I will definately reply as soon as I have made any headway...

Thanks

Zaid

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for an update.

I am sure Service pack 2 will work for you.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Has this worked ? Please help us with the solution if this is resolved..

Zaid_1a
Level 3

Hi

I have finally managed to install Service Pack 2 by downloading the full SSR2013 package with service pack 2 re-installing SSR. This however has not yet solved my problem. I still get the following message when trying to run a backup:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\), (D:\).
 Error ED800012: The internal structure of the recovery point file (CRC Validation) is invalid, damaged or unsupported. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you switch from Ghost !

I really feel this is something to do with either the driver , the motherboard , the drive or with the hardware.

You will have to check the even logs and analyse the same.

I am sharing some articles with you wherein one thing you can do is enable "Ignore bad sectors" and run the backup , if the backup is successful , it has surely to do something with the hardware.

Please check the following links :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54676

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-Error-ED800012-Backup-CRC-Validation-f...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/CRC-Validation-Errors-in-Ghost-15-and-How-I-Sol...

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Any updates here ?

dear i have the same issue

i try my best but still no solution..

criley
Employee Accredited

@Haroon_khan

You are replying to a 5 year old thread ...

I would suggest you start a new thread for your issue with all details of the issue you are seeing, including version of System Recovery and operating system details.

Thanks.