cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EndCreateSnapshotSet (-2147212529) when running backup

SteveG144
Level 3

I have been fighting with this for about a month now.  Any backup that tries to run, will fail with this error.  I've tried defragging the hard drives (all are under 10%) and have restarted the server.  I've changed the VSS settings on each drive to allow for unlimited storage area.

Nothing has helped.  

Does anyone have a solution to get this error to go away??  This is running SSR 2013 R2 on a Windows SBS 2011 server.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which VSS options exactly did you specify? There are a couple of them.

I set the Storage Area Maximum Size to no limit.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sorry for beeing not specific enough, i meant the VSS options in the backup job.

criley
Employee Accredited

@SteveG144

Which volumes are you trying to backup? Check each volume and confirm how much free space there is.

If the server has a system reserved partition, please exclude this (just as a test) to see if it allows the backup to complete.

It does have a system reserved partition and it does appear to run when I unselect that partition.  So, what can be done to repair/include the system reserved partition?

The backup HAD been working fine with the reserved partition included recently.

criley
Employee Accredited

@SteveG144

OK, so at least we have narrowed down the problem to that partition..

Can you go to \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Utility and run the following from a command prompt (run as admin): SmeDump.exe

This will produce a file called debug.txt in the same folder. Please attach that here and I will take a look.

Ok, here it is.  Thanks for looking :)

criley
Employee Accredited

@SteveG144

I don't see any obvious problems with that partition. What is the exact error that is seen in the windows event logs when you try and backup this partition?

Can you try and backup that partition using this method and confirm the results: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097851

Finally, please check in Help/About in SSR and confirm the exact version information.

There are a couple of event log entries:

Log Name: Application
Source: Symantec System Recovery
Date: 9/5/2017 9:26:23 AM
Event ID: 100
Task Category: High Priority
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: FF01.ff.local
Description:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Full NAS backup.
Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSet (-2147212529). (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({ec0984a1-ebd5-4548-b4ce-88d50012603d}) [hr = 0x80042302, A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
Check the Application event log for more information.
].

Operation:
Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Cannot find anymore diff area candidates for volume \\?\Volume{8a6a358f-e670-11e0-86d6-806e6f6e6963}\ [0]. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure

Operation:
Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
Volume Name: \\?\Volume{8a6a358f-e670-11e0-86d6-806e6f6e6963}\
Execution Context: System Provider

The version of VSS is 11.1.4.55331

criley
Employee Accredited

@SteveG144

Have you tried the backup method I mentioned in my previous post?

You could also try updating to SP6 (reboot required) to see if that helps. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000114408