cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error creating a "One Time Virtual Conversion"

Austin10
Level 3

I have tried to do the above for a XP Laptop machine and it fails consistantly. Here is the scenario:

1- BESR installed on a Server Win 2003 

2- BESR Agent installed on a XP laptop

3- Schedule for full (every 3 months) and incremental backups (every night) are run ok for laptop

4- Connect from server BESR to the agent on the laptop

5- Run "One Time Virtual Conversion" on server BESR using these two option:

a)- VMWare Workstation 6 option, fails with this error message in log:

Error EC8F1F48: The 'Vmware VMDK' conversion process could not be completed.
Error EC8F1F45: Cannot convert image file.
Error EBAB03EE: Operating System API [RegistryOperations::LoadHive]  RegLoadKeyW( Z:\WINDOWS\System32\config\System, TARGET_HIVE_SYSTEM ) failed.
Error EBAB03F1: Error performing inpage operation. (UMI:V-281-3215-8008)

Details: 
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

(It creates a small .vmdk file on a network folder, but that is too small to be the correct virtual machine - about 4GB, no other files)

b)- Also tried ESXi Server option (we have a 3.5 version here), it gives this error:

Error EC8F1F48: The 'Vmware VMDK' conversion process could not be completed.
Error EC8F1FDB: Unable to create virtual disk. This could be due to one of the following reasons:
- Destination path does not exist.
- Insufficient disk space.
- Invalid credential or permissions on destination path.
- Network errors. (UMI:V-281-3215-8008)

Details: 
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

(It creates a large .vmdk file on a ESXi [Storage] - about 39GB, no other file, nothing on temp folder either. Although looks to be correct/consistent size. But any attempt to mount it fails with operating system not found.)

I have tried a few times for both, thinking username and password were not selected correctly or some other issue, but it seems quite a simple operation/options so not sure what it fails.

By the way all BESR licenses are Trial licenses - we are testing to migrate from Altiris !

Any advice appreciated...

16 REPLIES 16

Austin10
Level 3

Just read previous posts about ESXi server licenses and my colleagues tell me we have a free version of ESXi. So may be the problem on ESXi conversion is due to that.

But I should still be able to create a normal VMWare Workstation 6 VM from my backup - so let's concentrate on that problem.

Thanks,

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Austin10
Level 3

Not at all, the total C:\ + G:\ (two partitions on a single disk of this laptop) are about 40GB used.

That problem/solution refers to 1TB size of the disk.

criley
Employee Accredited

What build of BESR 2010 are you running (check in Help/About)?

And how many machines have you tried this with so far?

Austin10
Level 3

The BESR version is 9.0.2.37914.

As you mentioned I went and tried another machine. This is a Windows Server 2003 and has only one C: partition/disk (that is backed up). The creation of VM Server completed successfully.

Though the ESXi Server option failed with the same message as before - I think that has to do with the license. I also get an error below when I try to create a new folder on the ESXi Server [storage4] via the BESR - during the conversion wizard it will allow you to do that:

-Error E1AD021A: Cannot create folder  inside datastore4.

--fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

(UMI:V-281-429-538)

(So I think the ESXi problem is different and may have to do with licensing. I can also use a VM tool to move any VM to ESXi anyway.)

So now back to the XP laptop, what could be the problem on VM conversion - multi-partition ?!

criley
Employee Accredited

So clearly there is something specific to that laptop that is causing the conversion to fail.

I am aware of a similar issue that is currently being looked at - the suspicion is that it is being caused by Kaspersky anti-virus. Is that installed?

If not, I think this one is going to be tricky to troubleshoot via the forums so I would suggest you open a case with support.

Austin10
Level 3

It has a Sophos Anti-virus, could that cause similar issue.. !?

Unfortunately Symantec is being really difficult with us and saying we can't get support for both Altiris Recovery Solution and BESR at the same time... !?!?!? We have to give up Altiris and transfer our support to BESR, which means we loose support for currently installed Altiris  !?

So I don't know how am I suppose to test and do the migration, very unhelpful.

criley
Employee Accredited

It has a Sophos Anti-virus, could that cause similar issue.. !?

Can't be sure about that. Did the other machine that converted successfully also have Sophos installed?

Only way to be sure is to remove Sophos, reboot and then run a new full backup - then try to convert that. There is no guarantee that it will help though.

Austin10
Level 3

All our machines have Sophos.

I still have issues with this, be it a different kind. In order to pass this as tested and approved I really need to backup a machine and then re-mount it as a VM successfully. Otherwise we basically can not proceed with BESR as a solution to replace Altiris !

Now that I managed to get at least one successful VMDK file from BESR I thought I was nearly there, but this file just does not convert and mount properly on any VMWare tool - I have tried a few !?

I have also tried to use the VMWare Import option - it accepts "sv2i" as a Other third-party file format and presumably should convert it to a valid a VM. Unfortunately I get this message on two different machines:

E0BB0116: Failed to open parent image file 'file://xxxxxxxxxx/Symantec Vault/xxxxxx_C_Drive002.v2i'. Error ED800012: The internal structure of the image file (Last File Frame) is invalid, damaged or unsupported

Although this is a VMWare message I had a search and it seems BESR gives the same  error ED800012 on validate after a backup.

I have selected not to do validate, so now I need to activate that and see, I wonder if all  BESR backups are rubbish/invalid and can not be used to recover anything when the time comes. After all that's when you need it - it's no use if it says it backed up everything and all is OK but fail when it needs to recover !?

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic but I had similar issues with Altiris (all OK and useless at recovery) and want to make sure things actually works not apparently - why these systems are so inflexible and fail so easily....!?

I have another BESR connection problem which will post in another thread, so far not very happy.

criley
Employee Accredited

I have selected not to do validate, so now I need to activate that and see, I wonder if all  BESR backups are rubbish/invalid and can not be used to recover anything when the time comes. After all that's when you need it - it's no use if it says it backed up everything and all is OK but fail when it needs to recover !?

You can just open the existing recovery points using the recovery point browser (just double click on the file in windows explorer) and then do a verify from there. That should tell you if the images is bad/corrupt.

Corruption can sometimes be caused by unstable network connections (when backing up across the network). The following may help to resolve this:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125631

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Stix
Level 4

I am receiving this error also:

error ebab03ee operating system api [RegistryOperations::LoadHive] RegLoadKeyW(C:\Windows\System32\config\system, target_hive_system) failed. error 00000570: the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I am converting a 2003 server into a VM on Citrix XenServer 5.6.

I tried these steps from this link http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53850&key=53847&actp=LIST

-remove pre-existing file structures

-couldn't run chkdsk (corrupt and unreadable error)

I am going to try version 8 of BESR.

Stix
Level 4

Tried version 8, same error:

Info 60BB0119: The operation, 'Copying volume data', completed successfully; however, there was an error while updating the NT registry updates. Error EA9D0017: Unable to open registry hive file.  Error 00000057: The parameter is incorrect. ERror EBAB03EE: Operating System API [RegistryOperations::LoadHive] RegLoadKeyW(C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\System,TARGET_HIVE_SYSTEM) failed. Error 00000057: The parameter is incorrect.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any good news here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any news here ?