Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 - Transport Roles

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi All,

I have successfully test recovered an Exchange 2007 server for a client.
As part of the project I recovered one of their DC's also and was able to recover the information store.

All looks fine in terms of mailboxes etc but when I tried to send a few test emails to ensure Exchange was working I found that they sat in the outbox of the Outlook Client I was using.

After some digging I found that within a directory called Transport Roles a file called trn.log was missing (I know it is missing because it exists on the live server). There are references in Event viewer to the Transport Roles Database being corrupt. I checked the restore selections for the tape I was restoring from and there is no trn.log on the tape.

Has anyone successfully gotten this working? I'm guessing this is a new feature in Exchange 2007 as I never have this hassle when recovering Exchange 2003.

Thanks in advance.

Gilly
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJT
Level 6
Make sure the file is not in the FilesNotToBackup. Also see this MS article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb218101.aspx

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AJT
Level 6
Make sure the file is not in the FilesNotToBackup. Also see this MS article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb218101.aspx

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
One more question - you mentioned you are restoring from tape. What is your backup process?

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi Andreas,

Backed up with 11d. We imaged the system drive. Recovered that. Then restored the data drives from tape.
Finally restored the information store and confirmed that Exchange was working.

Thanks,
Gilly

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
That looks good AJT.
I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Gilly

AJT
Level 6
FYI: BE has their own SYMC forum :)

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
I know.  Been here quite a while! ;)
But in the context of this particular problem I felt it was more relevant to Disaster Recovery rather than a normal restore!

Gilly

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
And "Backup Exec System Recovery" is a separate product - it is not a forum to just talk about Disaster Recovery

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

I know!!!!

I'm using BESR to recover the System Drive and BE to restore the data!

If an admin feels this should be moved then let them move it!!!
Jesus!