cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange - "This type of backup was never performed" using Backup Exec System Recovery 2010

e-charge
Level 3

Greetings all.

Does anyone know why my Exchange database files report that "This type of backup was never performed." when using BESR 2010?

I'm fully up to date and have the "Perform full VSS backup" option enabled.

This is the only backup solution I'm using to backup Exchange on this machine and the transaction logs are being flushed.

Is this the norm for this to be displayed in my situation or should performing a backup with BESR be updating that entry?

I read in a post relating to Backup Exec that there is a difference between an online and an offline backup, the offline backup being the only one which will update that entry. Is this the case with BESR?

Any input will be much appreciated.

e-charge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

What operating system is Exchange running on?

Is it SBS? If yes, have a look at this: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77180

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

Where exactly are you seeing this error? Could you copy/paste the full error in here..?

e-charge
Level 3

Thanks for your prompt response Chris.

It's not so much an error message we're getting but the feedback given in the properties of the Exchange databases. There it reports the "Time of last backup" and also "Time of last incremental backup".

These will be updated with the running of a backup using NTBackup or Backup Exec but are not being updated after BESR runs and so we're now reporting there that the mailbox database has never been backed up.

The server will log a warning event log entry for every 30 days of no database backups.

Thanks for your help.

e-charge.

criley
Employee Accredited

It's not so much an error message we're getting but the feedback given in the properties of the Exchange databases. There it reports the "Time of last backup" and also "Time of last incremental backup".

Can you please clarify exactly how/where you are getting this information?

e-charge
Level 3

Chris.

From within Exchange System Manager:

Expand Administrative Groups>First Administrative Group>Servers>%ServerName%>First Storage Group

Right-click the mailbox store and select Properties.

Within the Database tab it reports the backup status of the mailbox store.

Regards,

e-charge.

criley
Employee Accredited

What operating system is Exchange running on?

Is it SBS? If yes, have a look at this: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77180

e-charge
Level 3

Hiya Chris, thanks for your input.

Yeah we're running SBS and I did initially see your suggested document before posting but never paid it much attention as our logs are being truncated as far as I can tell.

BUT, our Exchange writers ARE disabled on the machines in question and we have no problem backing up the system state and mail databases separately so I'm going to enable the writers tonight and give them a go.

I'll come back with the result but I think what you've suggested makes sense and it also leads me to a possible resolution for another issue involving Backup Exec failing but that's another story.

Thanks Chris.

e-charge.

criley
Employee Accredited

No problem. Let us know if this helps then.

e-charge
Level 3

Thanks for your help Chris.

Re-enabling the Exchange VSS writer works a treat.

e-charge.