cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclusions with System Recovery Backups?

Pharao2k
Level 2

Hi,

We have a small Hyper-V Cluster which is being backed up by Backup Exec R3.

Is it possible to backup these cluster nodes with System Recovery 2011 without making (redundant because of Backup Exec R3) backups of all Cluster-VMs? We did not find a way to do this.

Regards,
Pharao2k

6 REPLIES 6

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

CSV is not supported with BESR/SSR for hot backup. You need to perform Cold Backup. Check this article. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135603

If you want to backup the VMs you can install the SSR on individual nodes and can backup them as any physical servers.

Also if you have virtualization license for BESR you can install the BESR/SSR on the host and can backup the host. However, this will allow you to restore the entire host (or drive containing the VMs) and from there you will get those respective vhds.

Pharao2k
Level 2

I think you misunderstood me, we don't want to backup any VMs (since this is already being done via Backup Exec), we just want the host itself.

Cold backup is not really a comfortable option since we would have to migrate all VMs, pause the cluster node, shutdown, boot SSR, backup, boot windows, enable cluster and migrate VMs back.

Seems like SSR is not an option for us :(

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you saying that you only want to backup the Hyper-V host but exclude the VMs?

This is possible but only if the VMs are on a seperate/dedicated volume. If this is the case, you can then just backup the host OS volume with SSR.

Pharao2k
Level 2

Since this is a Hyper-V Cluster the VM-Storage disks are mounted under C:\ClusterStorage\ so they are on physically different drives, but in the same NTFS tree.

criley
Employee Accredited

In that case, I'm not sure what impact it will have of only backing up the OS volume.

When you do full volume level backups with SSR, you cannot do any file/folder exclusions (hopefully this will make it into the product at some stage).

I think the bottom line here is that this will need testing to see if it works. It would probably fall under the not tested / not supported category.

ChristopherCas
Not applicable

Could you please tell us if SSR 2011-10.0.0.39952  is concerned by this limitation ?

I am experiencing some problems backing up some of my hyper-v cluster nodes which have CSV (and c:\clustersorage).

From time to time (once a week), I have one of the nodes of my 110 hyper-v clusters that crashes at backup time. The system events logged and which initiate the crash are :

Event ID 11, LSI_SAS2 : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1 and

Event ID 129, LSI_SAS2 : Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

Until I restart the incriminated node, all VMs hang.

I am now looking at SSR since I have moved the back up time and these errors still follow the backup jobs (which do not run).