cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File restore in Backup Exec 2011 created a date after computer backup

jamesup
Level 3

I created a computer backup on 9/25/11 and a file and folder backup on 9/27/11.  I expected I would be able to restore the 9/27/11 files after I restored the 9/25/11 computer backup.  However, after I performed the 9/25/11 computer restore, the 9/27/11 file and folder backup files disappeared from the file restore option.  These files are still present on the backup hard drive, but I can't access them.  Is there a way to access these 9/27/11 data files?  Thanks.  James 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this help?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63684

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

If the date on the server is sitting at 25/09 then I'd suggest you catalog the files you are trying to restore from. Sounds like they wouldn't have existed in the BE catalogs at the point of the restore.

Thanks!

jamesup
Level 3

Craig: Thanks for the reply.  On my backup drive M I find M/Symantec Backups/File Backup Data/fbf Files_bac 9/27/2011 File folder.  However, I do not know how to catalogue this folder containing 30 fbf files in a way that Symantec Backup Exec restore can access it.  I will be most grateful for instructions.  Thanks.  James

CraigV

OK, so this is a stupid question, but did you create the backup using BE? If so, you would see *.bkf files, not *.fbf files.

jamesup
Level 3

Craig: Actually the program is Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition 2011.  James

CraigV

James: Moved tot he right forum for you :). It was posted in the Backup Exec forum, and not the SSR 2011 forum...

jamesup
Level 3

Craig:  Thanks, I'll try the SSR 2011 forum.  I apologize; I didn't notice that one.  James

jamesup
Level 3

Craig: Thanks for moving the question to the SSR 2011 forum.  Now that it is in the correct forum, do you have an answer regarding how to catalog the files so that they can be accessed by SSR 2011 - or even be read? Windows 7 will not open an *.fbf file.  James

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this help?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63684

jamesup
Level 3

Chris: Thank you for your help.  The articles you referenced solved the problem.  I imported the *.fbf files from the backup destination I had used, and the files I was looking for then appeared, and I was able to restore them.

The disappointing aspect of SSR 2011 is that an entire folder cannot be restored, but only individual files.  For example, if a person saves a number of emails in different subfolders, he may not remember all of the individual names.  In "Backup My PC" all the folders, subfolders, and files were displayed, and a person could check any folders, subfolders, or files that he wished restored and could restore them.  Apparently, there is some difficulty in SSR 2011 so that this procedure cannot take place.  It would be a great assistance if it could.  After further thought I was able to restore a number of additional files, since when I save an email I put the date it was saved as the first part of the name.  As a result I was able to search for 092611 and 092711.  All of the files that started with those numbers were brought up and I was able to restore them.   James