cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Full Backup' writes several 4GB Backup Files

nluzader
Level 3

Hello,

I have set Backup Exec to run Daily at 1:00am to perform a 'Full Independant Backup' and to keep 3 of these backups at a time. Once the 4th is created, the oldest backup will be deleted. My issue is this: Backup Exec is writing several 4GB backup files when prompted to run its 'Full Independant Backup'. It seems to write these files every 7 to 10 mintues for an hour. They look like they're incremental backups, but I've deleted the Job and re-created it as a 'Full Independant Backup' but this continues to happen. Not sure why, or how to fix it.

Computer Runs XP Service Pack 3.
Using Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0

Any help is appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The backup job is spanning a recovery point to 4GB spans. It is still a single image just broken up into spans. Incremental updates would have an *.iv2i file extention and would likely not be as uniformal in file size as these spans are showing. I have seen spanning like this occur if the storage drive is not NTFS or failing. This looks like a Western Digital external USB hard disk drive. Many are formatted out of shop as FAT32 since the drive may be used by a Linux operating system. Fat32 has a limit of 4GB file size. Verify that this drive is NTFS formatted since it looks like it will only be used by this XP system; you may need to manually move the image files using Windows Explorer to a temporary NTFS formatted drive till this drive can be formatted; that is if it is not already formatted as NTFS. If having such a number of spans still concern after the reformat use the Recovery point browser to re-compile the images into a single spanned image back to the Western Digitial drive.

-Dave