cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRO with Exchange mailboxes and non-mail items

D_M1
Level 2
Does GRO support _any_ recovery of calendar items, tasks, notes, etc?  I can maybe understand not supporting item level recovery, but when I attempt to recover a whole mailbox I just get a PST of the mail items, but no calendar, tasks, etc.  This is obviously not the entire mailbox.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to recover the _entire_ mailbox using BESR and/or GRO?

Thanks,
DM
5 REPLIES 5

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

At this time no, GRO and BEER is only capable to restoring Exchange e-mail mailboxes or specific e-mail messages.

D_M1
Level 2
Thank you for the prompt response.  Your answer was not what I was expecting, so I'd like to clarify just a bit further.

A user accdentally deletes a calendar item or task with important data embedded in it and needs to recover it from the server weeks later.  If the Exchange 2003 Server is backed up with BESR 8.0, what are my recovery options?  If I'm using BE 12.0 with the Exchange agent, do the recovery options change?  And a precursive follow up question - Is there any Symantec product that will allow a restore/recovery of a single Exchange 2003 mailbox with all items intact?

Thanks,
DM

AndrewPBG
Level 3
If you right click on the user's mailbox in the upper pane, there ought to be the option to dump a PST (I don't remember the wording, but it's the only menu item). Load that PST into Outlook (2003+), and you should be able to drag/drop anything from there.

Note that these PST's will not work with Exmerge, as they're unicode PSTs, and GRO seems to fail when you force Outlook to generate ANSI PSTs via Group Policy. If you ever need to use Exmerge, mounting a recovery point to a drive letter lets you use the Recovery Storage Group pretty easily, and without copying the whole Exchange database to a temporary location.

iceburgh
Not applicable
Is this limitation of Granular Restore going to be remedied?  I have clients that would like the option to restore their contacts, calendars, and tasks from their mailboxes and not just e-mail.

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
At this time we have no information to provide on future enhancements that may be made to the Granular Restore Option for Backup Exec System Recovery.