cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting SMTP to work with Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have a fresh install of Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2 Desktop Edition on a client's Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine.

I have tried all of the possible configurations under STMP to get a test email sent and have only been able to generate error messages.

Does anyone know of a way in which I can get this set up so that I can receive emails if there are any back up failures?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

Is this relevant for your issue? https://www.veritas.com/docs/100008932

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

That may very well be the issue.

However, that article is from 2014 and the text reads "However, the issue is currently scheduled to be addressed in the next major revision of the product. "

The functionality existed in SSR 2013 - all versions and now does not.

So I take it that this issue has not been addressed and that is a major failure.

How do I raise this particular topic to the level that it can be corrected?

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

You are correct, this has been an issue for a long time ..

I can confirm that this is planned to be addressed in the next version of System Recovery. I cannot confirm the exact timeframe for this but understand that it is planned for early next year.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Alright, I appreciate the honesty.

Having said that, what alternative can I use to find out about back-up failures?

Do you have a list of specific Event IDs for failures that I can use a la this article (http://sharepointjack.com/2013/powershell-to-send-an-email-when-something-happens-in-the-event-log/) to enable an ersatz notification system in the meantime?

criley
Employee Accredited

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

While that is useful to have in my library, I would need the actual entries written to the Event Log in order to trigger an email.

For example, 6C8F1F65 and 6C8F1FF2, issue back up started and ended messages that trigger Event ID 100.  Those are good, I'll take those any day - but I don't need an alert.

Would anyone in development happen to have the doc that matches Event ID to your Veritas codes?

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

I will have to check on this..... I have no idea if that information exists.

Let me get back to you on this. I am out of office next 2 days so won't get back to you until next week I'm afraid.

Steve_Fuller
Level 4

There's not enough description to describe a full solution, but start with changing the port. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100003332.html--since many ISPs block port 25.  If your email providers only allows SSL or TLS, then you can use any of serveral relay methods such as IIS Smtp.  Another example, Office 365--https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/98692-create-an-smtp-relay-in-o365-to-allow-a-unitrends-appl....

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

Would anyone in development happen to have the doc that matches Event ID to your Veritas codes?

I've confirmed that there is no 'mapping' between the event IDs and the VSR errors I'm afraid. Sorry I cannot give you a better answer on this.

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

When a client calls the MSP to ask, "What's this pop-up about not enough space on the NAS to do a back-up?" it means that the MSP's software choices are less than adequate to be proactive about protecting the client's environment....

Bottom line:  I look like an idiot for the failings of the vendor's software and for not knowing beforehand to mitigate the circumstances.

You all need to hurry this up a bit.

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

Are you still referring to the lack of support for TLS/SSL?

If so, that support is coming in the next version of System Recovery - release is early 2018.

Would you be interested in being part of the BETA program? If yes, can you please private message me your contact details.