cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost 12 Partition Backup

blegs38552
Level 2
I have a hard drive that is partitioned into 5 separate partitions. On four of them, my backup shows the number of bytes used, and the number of bytes free, except for one partition. On this one, which is 32 gb in size (5 gb of which is being used), the backup file is showing the entire 32 gb. on all others, only the amount being used is shown as the size of the backup file (After allowing for compression). Needless to say, this is taking up more size on my backup drive (a USB drive) then it should be. Anyone have any idea why these should be the case?
5 REPLIES 5

Ajaysp149
Level 2
Hi Bleg,
                Greetings!!!

What type of partition is that? Do you have any OS Installed on that partition?

blegs38552
Level 2
No O/S installed. Just various downloaded programs from the web. I have about 4.69 GB if data, and about 26.0 GB free space on it. It is an NTFS partition, as are all of my partitions on the computer.

But when I look at the file created on my backup disk, it shows a size of 27.2 GB on disk, and 27.2 GB used.

Message Edited by blegs38552 on 04-20-2008 01:56 PM

Message Edited by blegs38552 on 04-20-2008 01:56 PM

Ajaysp149
Level 2
Hi Bleg,

Greetings!!!

Please do the check disk and disk defragmentation to that partition and then do the backup and check. Post us if any

blegs38552
Level 2
Thank you for your suggestions. I did as suggested regarding checking the disk - Diskkeeper reported that disk was not fragmenetd. Tried the backup again and htis time it failed to complete.

I copied all of the files to my backup drive, reformatted the partition, and copied the files back. This time the backup completed correctly.

Still do not know that the problem was, but at least it is fixed.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Sounds like you had a partitions issue that remaking corrected it.