cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost freezes up at same place (2%) when restoring a disk

Teesee7
Level 2
I am trying to restore a disk using Ghost, and Ghost freezes up after only 2% restored (on multiple tries). Here are the details. I am trying to restore the E: drive of a Fujitsu R610 computer running Windows XP Professional. I am using Ghost 11 (booted off of a CD drive), and reading a 36.9-GB *.GHO file that is on a Western Digital (WD) USB drive, plugged into the CPU tower. The Fujitsu internal disks and the WD USB disk are all NTFS disks. I am running Ghost with the command: ghost> ghost -forceusb Each time I run it, the Ghost menu just freezes after only 697-705 MB have been restored (which is only about 2% of the data to be restored). Once it freezes, none of the numbers change in the Ghost status menu (waiting over an hour), and there is no way to exit. (The Tab, Return, and Esc keys do nothing in this state.) i had to then force a power-down by holding in the power button. I was able to use Ghost 11 to successfully restore the C: drive and the D: drive. When I initially backed up the E: drive, I created two equivalent *.GHO files, by running ghost "to disk" twice. Both *.GHO files had identical byte sizes, and Ghost completed without errors, so the *.GHO files seem to be OK. When I tried to restore using the second *.GHO file, ghost froze at the same place (after 697-705 MB). The internal E: drive is 72 GB, so it has plenty of room. I did a SCSI boot and ran the SCSI disk check on the E: drive, and the internal disk passed. I even tried restoring the *.GHO file onto another Fusitsu R610 computer that had a 146 GB internal disk, an it froze at the same place (697-705 MB). This 36.9-GB *.GHO file is the largest *.GHO file that I ever tried to restore on a Fujitsu R610 computer using this version of Ghost. I am wondering if thete is some limit in the size of the *.GHO file when restoring with Ghost 11. Or maybe there is some limit that I am hitting due to the computer's RAM? Tomorrow I might try to get the computer to boot, and then copy the *.GHO file to the C: drive, so that I can run Ghost by reading and writing all from internal disks. Does anyone have any advice? (This is a very critical disk that I must restore.) Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Teesee7
Level 2

PS -- I also copied the *.GHO file to another USB disk, and tried to restore from that USB disk. I got the same freeze-up at the same place (at 697-705 MB into the restore).

Teesee7
Level 2

Desr Forum, In addition to copying the *.GHO file to another usb disk and trying the restore from the other usb disk (which froze at 697-705 MB), I also tried restoring from a *.GHO file wtitten 2 months ago. It is a smaller file (27 GB rather than 37 GB). But Ghost still froze up at 697-705 MB. (I think the *.GHO file is still bigger than any previous file that I successfully restored.) I think this points to either 1) a limitation in the version of Ghost that I am using, or 2) something very wierd about the internal E: drive that corrupted all the Ghost files at the same place (even though the E: drive passed the SCSI hardware check).