cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grandfather, Father, Son backup strategy in VSR18

tictag
Level 2

I reached out to technical support for their help setting up a Grandfather, Father, Son backup strategy within VSR18, unfortunately, after weeks of trying they determined that this was not possible. This thread is to request an enhancement to VSR18 to support this type of backup strategy.

• Tier 1 (Son): Weekly system backup, retained for four weeks, rotating every month, local + offsite
  • Tier 2 (Father): Monthly system backup, retained for one year, rotating every quarter, offsite only
  • Tier 3: (Grandfather): Annual system backup, retained for two years, rotating every year, offsite only

Such a backup strategy allows me to restore full system or files going back weeks, months or, if necessary, years.

Because of the 'only one recovery point set allowed' limitation, the best tech support could come up with is to create the weekly backup as a recovery point set then create 14 independent recovery points to satisfy the monthly and annual requirement. Backing up 14 x 4TB plus the weekly backups (total storage requirement = 60TB!!) is just ridiculous.

Please enhance VSR to allow it to support a Grandfather, Father, Son backup strategy minimising storage requirements.

2 REPLIES 2

jfit1
Level 2

Hi TicTag,

i got the same problem, i have just realized this condition when the requirement for GFS is appear. i need to make different backup jobs to reach GFS archives.

+1 for the tictag's improvement request.

akihiro1
Employee

Does the other image based backup software like System Recovery actually implement the GFS backup strategy?
If yes, is it easy for customers to customize the GFS backup strategy?

System Recovery (Image based backup) does not support tape media to store for a long time. In addition, System Recovery Desktop Edition is used by general users, and hence the schedule is very simple.
On the other hand, Backup Exec (File based backup) supports tape media to store for a long time and complicated duplicate jobs. Backup Exec is used by administrators only, and hence it can set multiple complecated schedules.