cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granular Recovery in an SBS 2003 environment

drobertson1977
Level 2
Has anyone found a solution to this dilemma?

The Granular Recovery Option requires that Outlook be installed on the system in order to retrieve mail messages. In a Small Business Server 2003 environment, this means that Outlook would have to be installed on the Exchange server - a configuration Microsoft does not support as it creates problems with the MAPI interface.

Has anyone figured out how to use granular recovery with a Small Business Server?
4 REPLIES 4

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Typically the Granular Recovery Option (GRO) is installed on an Administration system not the Small Business Server (SBS) system. This could be the system the Administrator uses Outlook to troubleshoot issues with Exchange for the SBS. Typically this requires only the additional purchase of a Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) Desktop license, since the media pack or download used to install BESR on the SBS could still be perform the install to a workstation OS.

drobertson1977
Level 2
OK, I was hoping to avoid another license but had pretty well decided that was the only solution.

IMHO, I find this annoying. Backup Exec has been able to restore individual mail items directly to the exchange store for at least the last 10 years. This process of having to create a .pst file or forward a recovered email from Outlook strikes me as a kludge. Just my opinion. 

SalG
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I just bought BESR 8 for SBS and was wondering this same thing.  If the granular restore option is included with the SBS version why do we also need to by a desktop version to use it properly? This seems to be a major oversight.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I agree so I forward your sentiment to my representative who deals with future product availability and functioning for customers; I should learn more about this and update this post soon.