cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granular Restore 8.5 not able to open Exchange Mail

Mario_Gaucher
Level 3

I just updated all my servers with BESR 8.5... it's working fine except for one thing... Granular restore 8.5 is not able to open "Exchange Mail"... I always get the following error :

(i) Make sure that the volume which contains 'N:\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database.edb' was selected for backup

(ii) Try selecting a different Storage Group

I get the same problem with all my databases...

if I open the same backup with Granular Restore 8.0 (previous version), it's working fine.

what can be the problem?

should I contact Symantec to get this resolved?

51 REPLIES 51

Mario_Gaucher
Level 3
I still have the same problem with gro 8.51

Bart_ccrek
Level 0

I have exactly the same problem with version 8.5.1.

I am certain it was working with version 8.0.x

Anyone (Symantec guys)  a solution yet ? 

grtz

B

Mario_Gaucher
Level 3

you can use GRO 8.0 with backup files from BESR 8.5... works fine for me now...

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The issue is still being investigated and it is considered a high priority from product development. If you have a open case on this issue after upgrading to BESR 8.51 ask your assigned TSE to obtained the most updated information on this issue.

BsT
Level 2

any updates on this? as I'm testing for clients and can hardly say that "it doesn't work ATM but might in the future"

or is there still an option to download gro 8.0 (trial) to show it working?

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here is the current document on this issue. Currently the issue is being looked into, but there is a workaround presented in the document.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/314373

Mario_Gaucher1
Level 3

the "workaround" does not work for me... at least, it does not work when I erase all my backups and let BESR recreate a new set...

for me it looks like a new baseline backup when I do this but it does not work.

Should I try to create a new backup without the incremental setting?

(and by the way, Mario Gaucher, Mario Gaucher1 and Conmed Canada is me... I don't seems to remember wich username I have to use all the time... :) )

Message Edited by Mario Gaucher1 on 12-24-2008 11:49 AM

jreynolds
Level 3

I am also having this problem. 

I was planning on purchasing the GRO license, but if it doesn't work, why would I buy it? 

When will a fix be released, or if 8.0 works, where can I get a trial of 8.0 to verify it works? 

Mario_Gaucher1
Level 3

just to let you know that today, I'm sending a copy of my backup to symantec so they can "test" this problem...

I will let you know when there is a fix for this problem...

jreynolds
Level 3

Mario, thanks for letting me know, they need to get this fixed, I don't know how they can sell something that simply does not work. 

Thanks,

John 

Message Edited by jreynolds on 01-20-2009 07:47 AM

jreynolds
Level 3
I had another question....where should I be able to find the eif file? I don't see it anywhere, including using the restore point browser to look for it. 

Mario_Gaucher1
Level 3
for me, it's in C:\Backup Information

jreynolds
Level 3

Mario, 

Are you seeing that through the restore point browser?

I've searched bot the exchange box and the image for any *eif files, but have nto been able to locate it. Perhaps this is the issue? is theis eif file something System recovery should be creating? 

Message Edited by jreynolds on 01-20-2009 10:56 AM

Mario_Gaucher1
Level 3

yes I can see this file in restore point browser...

y

jreynolds
Level 3

Ok, thanks for the info. It appears my eif file isn't even being created. 

Sigh.... 

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
BESR creates the EIF file when it detects an installation of Exchange. You should not be able to find it on the actual machine, but it should appear in the recovery points.

Mario_Gaucher1
Level 3
I have the EIF file on my C: drive and in my recovery points...

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Has anyone in this thread been able to successfully open Exchange recovery points with GRO 8.0 or 8.5 that were password protected and encrypted? That is they do not get the EIF error message on such recovery point images? Those who do get the EIF error when attempting to open such images, does recompiling the images to standard compression and no password/encryption allowed GRO then to successfully open the Exchange IS?

Tanel
Level 3
I experience the same problem as previously described by other users. The backup goes through without any problems and one can browse the volumes of C:, D: and E: under "Files and Folders" in GRO. Also the content of ExchangeBackup.eif is correct as far as I can see.

However, for reasons that are unclear to me, the volumes show up with diffrent backup dates (C: 2009-05-08 10:50:50, D: 2009-05-08 10:28:59, E: 2009-05-08 10:14:40) and this I think is the root cause to the problem. If one chooses GRO -> Exchange Mail -> Choose Backup Date according to C: I recive and error stating "Unable to locate backup copy of a Storage Group" while Choosing a Backup Date according to D:/E: I recive an error stating "Unable to find the Exchange Information File (EIF)".

BESR and the BESR-agent is running 8.5.3.31483 while GRO is running 8.5.3.32375 and as I'm using trail-ware I am not entitled to enterprise support.

I have read and follwed, with no results, the following links:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293323.htm (none of the scenarios apply)
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314373.htm (does not apply)
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320977.htm (workaround not acceptable)

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Tanel

marcogsp
Level 6
Version 8.5.3 of GRO is still throwing up the same old errors when it comes to opening Exchange mailstores.  However I was finally able to get it to work after reading something about the imaging process.  If a file is changed during the imaging process, the change is captured and integrated into the image.   When opening an image with GRO, make sure to click on the "Versions" tab and select all the versions of the image.

When clicking on the "Exchange Mail" tab, chances are, the same old errors will still be thrown.  Use the drop down list "Backup Date" in the upper right to manually iterate through the "versions" until the mailstores are opened.

If there is a reason why this process could not be automated, considering automatic iteration is such an integral part of programming, I would enjoy hearing it.  Even if one or more "versions" contain different "versions" of the mailstores, there are these things called "Diialog Boxes" in which the user could be queried for the version to be opened.