cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granular Restore of VM's, including Exchange 2010/Server 2012 VM

SimonTandem
Level 3

We have a small client, 40-odd users, who we are migrating from Small Business Server 2003 to a Server 2012 Hyper-V solution, with VM's for Domain Controller, File and Print, and Exchange 2010.

I have been supplied with Symantec System Recovery 2013 Virtual Edition to install on the Hyper-V Host to backup the VM's. The first base image and incrementals have been taken and seems to be working ok, however I wonder if I have the correct product..

I need to be able to recover individual files from the VM's, and have a granular restore ability for the Exchange 2010 VM, and I do not see that SSR 2013 Virtual Edition will allow for restore of individual files from the VM's, or individual emails from the Exchange 2010 server.

Am I correct? If I am, would I need to install SSR2013 on each individual VM (including an Outlook client on the Exchange 2010 VM for Granular Restore of mail items)?

Or is there another Symantec product that would better suit what I need to do?

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backup Exec can definitely do the granular restores that you want.

criley
Employee Accredited

Am I correct? If I am, would I need to install SSR2013 on each individual VM (including an Outlook client on the Exchange 2010 VM for Granular Restore of mail items)?

Exactly. SSR would have to be installed inside each guest and you backup each VM as if it was a physical server.

Outlook does not have to be installed on the Exchange server itself. You could install it on the Hyper-V host (for example) itself and perform the granular restores from there.