cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granular restore with exchange 2007, problem restoring mailbox

Clem58
Level 3

I've installed symantec system recovery server 2011 on a windows 2008 server. I can backup my exchange 2007 server, but when I want to restore a mailbox from granular restore, I've this error.

Translate : "Error during preparation of "Mailbox Database" messages memory.

This kind of error often means that's a problem has appeared during the backup. Be sure that your backups are scheduled when exchange is not busy.

Check that all your exchange storage groups are included in the backup"

I've tried with exhange working and stopped, same error. My exchange is installed on E: drive partionned, the backup saves only E drive.

Can you help me ?

Thanks,

Clémence

17 REPLIES 17

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you confirm if this is the same error that you are seeing? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128361

Also, you MUST backup all volumes that have Exchange data (storage groups, Exchange logs and Exchange binaries) in the SAME backup job. Do you have any Exchange-related data/files on volumes other than E?

Clem58
Level 3

Yes that's this same error !

I've created a E: drive partition dedicated for exchange to install it. But IIS is on C: for exemple

Anyway, I'll try to save C: and E: to see if that solve my problem. I'll tell you if that works.

Thx

Clem58
Level 3

I've backuped C: and E:, and same error occurs in granular restore ...

I need this restore to work ...

criley
Employee Accredited

Check in the application & system event logs for errors (they should appear around the same time that you tried GRO).

Clem58
Level 3

I've this error logged on system event logs :

Event ID 137
Source ntfs
Type Error

The default transaction resource manager on volume E: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

Clem58
Level 3

When I choose "restore point from another computer" I've the second error listed in this tech

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125702&key=53845&actp=LIST

I've this exact problem in this tech page

miket_2
Level 3

Hi,

same problem here since BESR2010 and SBS2003. SHAME on you symantec. I`ve posted this error some time ago and they told us, that the next version (after2010) is working. NOTHING in this case! We have updated to 2011 and the same problem.

And when i read that this error is under investigation....i get headpain. Don`t beat me, but HOW get i mails back in a working enviroment????

miket

criley
Employee Accredited

Clem58 & miket,

This issue might be a defect with the product (we had an orphan(patch) for BESR 2010 that fixed this for some customers) OR it might be an environmental issue in your environment.

Either way, I would recommend that you both open cases with support so that the issue can be investigated further and in more detail.

As a side note, I am currently working with a customer for a similar issue.

Clem58
Level 3

Hi Chris,

Like Miket, I've bought this soft only to save my exchange and to restore separate mailboxes. I just not be able to use it ...

Your patch is for BESR 2010 and I have symantec system recovery 2011, so I think it wont be applyed on it ? If not, can you give me an url to download it ?

I'll contact the support and give them the url of this thread.

I'm waiting for a solution, thx

Clémence

Clem58
Level 3

I don't know how to mail the support to open case ... I found only the support page with support services that are not free.

miket_2
Level 3

Hello Clem58,

i`ve opend a supportcase yesterday. In your softwarepacket is a special card for registering enterprise-support with one-year-subscription without extra fee. after this registration you get a support-id. This was also new for me, but if you search through the forum, you´ll see, that i was also asking chris, where the support-id is :=)).

as answering of my support-call they want do make with me an remote-session to looking to my enviroment.

@chris: where can i get the patch for ssr2011? my case is 414-476-298

criley
Employee Accredited

@chris: where can i get the patch for ssr2011? my case is 414-476-298

We will need to review the logs to see if you have the same issue that is resolved with the orphan.

UPDATE: I've had it confirmed that this fix has already gone into SSR 2011. I suspect that the root cause is different so it needs further investigation.

Clem58
Level 3

I'm trying to create a case but for that I've to give my support ID (I've the key), but symantec tells me that this id is not valid for my account ...

Clem58
Level 3

This support ID is associated with my Symantec Backup exec system recovery 2010 pack, as I have now installed symantec system recovery 2011, maybe  this support id doesnt work anymore ? I haven't receive a new support id, only licence keys for the update.

criley
Employee Accredited

You'll need to contact customer care about this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

Clem58
Level 3

Ok now I've a contact ID, but a new error !

Mysupport application error

Mysupport application has an program error.

So great ...

EDIT : I've contacted customer care and I'll receive a technical ID soon...

Clem58
Level 3

Ok I've, at last, created a support case :

ID of the case : 414-667-558