cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grenular Restore keeps dimounting drives

H__Blokzijl
Level 2

Hi,

When i load a recovery point from a Exchange 2007 server incremental backup in Granular Restore, it keeps saying 'Loading Recovery Point' in the lower left corner and i am left with a blank GRO screen.

When i open a Windows Explorer session, I see that GRO is mounting my disk, but after 1 or 2 seconds it is dismounting that disc. It does this for some time. It then goes to the next disk and the same procedure starts again. It does this for all 3 disks I have in the Recovery Point. After the last disk, it goes back to the first disk and all starts over again.

I can succesfully open and mount the recovery disks in the Recovery Point Browser, but I must use GRO because I need to recover some email items.

The backup is password protected. I'm not recieving any error messages. My server is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. Outlook 2010 is installed.

Could some please explain what is going on with GRO?

many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Please refer to the following article regarding the password issue with GRO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128501

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Ensure BESR is fully update with latest service pack and hot fixes and then try again

1. Open command prompt and Navigate to .\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System
Recovery\Shared\Drivers folder and confirm that GenericMountHelperx64.exe exists
2. use REGSVR32 -s GenericMountHelperx64 to register the service
3. Verify that the service appears in Service Control Manager(services.msc)

If that works, try GRO and recovery my files again.

Hope that helps

Thanks

H__Blokzijl
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

GenericMountHelperx64.exe is running as a service. It is listed in de services.msc console and I can see it running in the task manager.

I'm running GRO on a x64 system. The location of GenericMountHelperx64.exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers. I don't know if that is correct.

In the task manager I see a program called drvinst.exe starting and stopping at the moment the disk is mounting and unmounting.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

The location of GenericMountHelperx64.exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers. That is the correct path, So is the S/W fully patched with live updates.

Thanks

H__Blokzijl
Level 2

Hi

The software is fully patched. I have left it running all weekend and now it shows the message to enter a password. If I enter the password, I get an error message that the password is wrong. Before the restore I already deleted the RPAM_Store.dat files. The stange thing is, that i can open the files with Recovery Point Browser with the correct password.

criley
Employee Accredited

Please refer to the following article regarding the password issue with GRO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128501