cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! CANT RESTORE WINDOWS 7

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3

Hallo.

Experts, geeks, MVP’s,J I hope you people can help.

We currently have a very big problem. Suddenly we cannot backup and restore any windows 7 pc.

Our image is deployed with software central. It’s both x86 and x64 image.  Our server that deployed the image is a Microsoft server 2012 . So our system partition is 350 mb and c drive the remaining space.

There are non-backup programs that can restore it.

We have used:

• Symantec v.11 /v. 13
  • Snapshot.
  • Acronis.
  • Hdclone

We have tried all sorts of setting in bios and so on. The funny thing is that a windows xp is no problem.

Even if we install a windows 7 by hand from a DVD. No problem. Our other department have build there image a bit different. There is no system partition. It’s all on the c drive. That is also working fine to restore.

We even tried to build the BCD from scratch. With no luck. We have sent one of our pc’s to snapshot in Germany they also could not restore it.

Our hardware is HP elitedesk from 8100 to the newest 800 g1  its business pc. So they have all got a tpm chip installed.

So guys what could we have missed. What could possibly be the problem???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3

due to domain policy update. we have had this insane problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2773300#/en-us/kb/2773300   To resolve the issue, set the following registry entries to 0: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\DisableCDDB HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\DontStartRawDevices       ------------------- To do this, follow these steps: 1.       Start the computer from Windows PE. 2.       Load the System registry hive for offline registry editing. The System registry hive is located in %SystemRoot%\system32\config. To do this, follow the steps in Load or unload registry hives. 3.       Expand the System registry hive that you have loaded, and then click Select. 4.       In the details pane, locate Current, and then note the value in the Data column. 5.       Expand the following registry entry. (The x placeholder represents the value from the Data column that you noted in step 4.) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\PnP 6.       Change the value of DisableCDDB and DontStartRawDevices to 0. 7.       Unload the registry hive. 8.       Restart the computer in the standard way

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So whats the actual issue with Symantec System Recovery?

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
Hello Markus. The problem is that we cant restore. Symantec is our primary backup solution. And it is not working. So we tried other solutions also. Everything is failing.. all with the same error. Pc trying to boot. Comes to windows logo. Reboots and over again.

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
We have manage to restore a hp8300 today. The dvd drive was the problem. The hd was plug is sata port 2 and dvd drive in sata port 3. As i unplugt the dvd drive it was able to boot. If i plug it in again it cant boot. ??? We then plug the hd to sata 0 and dvd drive in sata 1. And then it worked. Anyone know why ????

Black_Coffee
Not applicable

I don't know if this helps, but I just had to fix my own computer after tech support lead me down the path to breaking my DVD drive. I upgraded to WIN10 and my license drop. So, tech support sent me to a Knowledge Article with a work around. It required installation of SP3 before I could replace a file and get partial functionality back. On reboot, I lost all access to my DVD drives.  After troubleshooting, I found SP3 sets lowfilter and highfilter values in the registry which is a known problem. I deleted those values and now it works fine.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Obviously the SRD mixed the drives.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So may I ask you to mark your post as solved?

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3

Nothing is solved yet. we still cant restore at hp 800 g1. we have the newest drivers. but same problem. at windows logo it reboots and so on

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
Can some one tell me if This could be the main reason why we are having restore problem. Our image is deployed by at server 2012.. would be all right. But the system partition on the windows 7 pc is 350mb like on windows 8. So the partition table are different. It doesent matter when we deployed and windows 7 is running fine. But when we restore it fails. So could it be that the restore program is getting confused. I would very much like to know

criley
Employee Accredited

Our image is deployed by at server 2012

What exactly do you mean by this? Please provide more details.

The fact that you see issues regardless of which backup product/vendor you use suggests the problem is not product specific. It's either hardware specific or something to do with the way you have deployed the image itself.

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
I just thinking or wondering about the hole process.. since we went from deployment from server 2008. To server 2012. First of all. The system partition on our Windows 7 has changed from 100mb to 350 mb. The server is running uefi and have gtp partitions. Then hp launches there new hp elitedesk 800 series.. after all of this we have major problems restorering. We have worked on many reasons why we have this problem. On the hardware side. We are only running legacy setup. With uefi boot disabled in bios. The new hp series have a lot more security and setting in bios. And comes with 500gb hybrid disk. After what I have read the disk are self encrypted.. we have disabled all security. Only have password on bios. Software site. We run witnows 7 32/64bit. System par on 350mb. Bitlocker installed But disabled. Because it's production pc's. Image are installed on ntfs partition with mbr.. We can manage to restore to exact same hardware.. but if harddisk is changed to maybe a ssd disk. Restore fails. Same error. Windows logo boot loop. And same problem is with restore anywhere. We have alle the newest drivers. Injected. But same problem. No startup repair can fix this. No bootrec or bootsect cmd. We have even build bcd from Scratch without luck. Checked disk Id where correct. Compared registry with workING pc and restored pc. Used all ekstra tools from symantec to get it to boot. No luck. Followed a lot of guides how to restore the right way. No matter what we do right now it won't boot. If I look at the disk. With diskpart. Detail disk cmd. Boot flag is no.. even though we have repaired it like descriped above.. What coUld we have overlooked. Hope it where a lot more detailed.

criley
Employee Accredited

For this type of issue, detailed analysis of the Windows logs will be required. For this, a support case is needed.

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
Hello Chris Please tell wich logs that are relevant to this problem. Today I found out that the restored c:\windows\system32\config Where different from the backup it was created from. That Does not make any sense at all.

criley
Employee Accredited

setup*.log found in \Windows\Panther

Chances are, you will need help from us (Symantec/Veritas) or your hardware vendor, unless anything obvious stands out in these logs.

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3
Ok super i will post them ASAP tommorow. Thx Have tried the support at HP. Not much help to get there..

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?

Allan_s_rensen
Level 3

due to domain policy update. we have had this insane problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2773300#/en-us/kb/2773300   To resolve the issue, set the following registry entries to 0: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\DisableCDDB HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\DontStartRawDevices       ------------------- To do this, follow these steps: 1.       Start the computer from Windows PE. 2.       Load the System registry hive for offline registry editing. The System registry hive is located in %SystemRoot%\system32\config. To do this, follow the steps in Load or unload registry hives. 3.       Expand the System registry hive that you have loaded, and then click Select. 4.       In the details pane, locate Current, and then note the value in the Data column. 5.       Expand the following registry entry. (The x placeholder represents the value from the Data column that you noted in step 4.) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\PnP 6.       Change the value of DisableCDDB and DontStartRawDevices to 0. 7.       Unload the registry hive. 8.       Restart the computer in the standard way