cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Having trouble with basic backup scenario

RS
Level 3
Hi, I am new to Symantec System Recovery and want to know whether this scenario is supported. The scenario is to backup to RDX (removable harddisk cartridges), and overwrite each time so that it does not accumulate storage. **Setup** Server: OK: Microsoft Windows SBS 2003 Standard 32-bit Hardware: OK: External RDX Unit USB OK: 320 GB RDX Cartridge Software: OK: Symantec System Recovery 2010 **Storage** Server storage: C: ~136 GB Capacity (26 GB Used, 121 GB Free) E: ~546 GB Capacity (214 GB Used, 347 GB Free) **Scenario** Estimated storage required for a recovery point: 26 GB Used + 214 GB Used = ~240 GB / 320 GB Used Not counting overhead and compression. There are 5 cartridges, Monday - Friday, changed each day. The problem I am encountering is that the cartridge becomes full. I think it's because it was set to use 2 recovery points, but this time I want to be sure before wiping the cartridges again. There is no media protection required for this scenario. Whatever cartridge is inserted, is supposed to be overwritten each time. How can I tell Symantec System Recovery to do this basic task? Basically, this is what has happened. First Week: All RDX Cartridges were formatted with NTFS. RDX Cartridge 1:5 Monday--filled with ~240 GB RDX Cartridge 2:5 Tuesday--filled with ~240 GB RDX Cartridge 3:5 Wednesday--filled with ~240 GB RDX Cartridge 4:5 Thursday--filled with ~240 GB RDX Cartridge 5:5 Friday--filled with ~240 GB Second Week: RDX Cartridge 1:5 Monday--Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of System (C:\), Data (E:\). Error ED800016: The target disk is full. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071) etc.. I basically want the software to start a new recovery point each time, and since it is the only thing accessing the cartridges, it should manage to delete or overwrite or whatever it does. These are the new Backup Properties I am trying. The only difference being that I changed recovery points from 2 to 1. Do I need to change anything else for this scenario to work? *Copy/Paste* Drives and backup destinations: System (C:\) to F:\C_Drive.v2i Data (E:\) to F:\E_Drive.v2i Start a new recovery point set (base): At 08:36 every Sunday, starting 07.07.2010 Next run time: 11.07.2010 08:36 Scheduled backup time: At 22:00 on the specified days of the week, starting 17.06.2010 Next run time: 07.07.2010 22:00 Event triggers: [ ] Any user logs on to the computer [ ] Any user logs off from the computer (Not at Shutdown or Restart) [ ] Application is installed or uninstalled [ ] Application is launched [ ] Data added to the drive exceeds: Options: Backup name: Drive Backup of System (C:\), Data (E:\) Compression level: Medium [X] Verify recovery points after creation Recovery point set limit: 1 Consolidate incrementals: Never [ ] Search engine support [X] Prepend computer name to backup data file names [ ] Save backup files to a unique subfolder Description: None Advanced options: Max file size: None [ ] Disable SmartSector copying [ ] Ignore bad sectors during copy [ ] Perform full VSS backup [ ] Use password Encryption level: None Command files: Run before snapshot: None Run after snapshot: None Run after recovery point creation: None Offsite Copy: Disabled Restore Anyware is permitted for this recovery point. ******* Regards
0 REPLIES 0