Highlighted

Help!!!! My server is no longer booting correctly.

Hello Symantec,

I recently installed the Symantec Recovery 2013 tool (trial version) on one of my Windows 2008 Servers and I made use of the Copy My HardDrive option.

This is the situation; I had two drives C: and D: which I needed to back-up as a fail-over image of my server the intention was to copy the hard drive to another hard drive and remove the drives from the server.

I was able to successfully copy C: to G: and D: to F: drives. But alas when I remove the G: and F: drives from my HP G7 server the server fails to boot.

Using the "msconfig.exe" I validated that the server still boots from the C: drive however it seems boot configuration data has been written to the G: drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running "bcdedit" from command line everything seems to be fine.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {990626c9-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Server 2008 R2
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {990626cb-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {990626c9-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
nx                      OptOut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However by  checking active disks display that G: drive is active which is not my intention and I am worried about taking rendering it inactive else the production server might refuse to start up:

(CSmiley Happy                          Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
(GSmiley Happy                         Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
New Volume (DSmiley Happy      Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
New Volume (FSmiley Happy      Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My original server (C: and DSmiley Happy no longer boots when I remove drives (G: and FSmiley Happy. How do I safely restore my server to status quo, if I physically remove the alien hard disks (G: and FSmiley Happy. Please this is urgent.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,

2 Replies

Take a look at this document

HI,   Take a look at the

HI,

Take a look at the techno

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186534

Regards