cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Help!!!! My server is no longer booting correctly.

Leksmal
Not applicable

Hello Symantec,

I recently installed the Symantec Recovery 2013 tool (trial version) on one of my Windows 2008 Servers and I made use of the Copy My HardDrive option.

This is the situation; I had two drives C: and D: which I needed to back-up as a fail-over image of my server the intention was to copy the hard drive to another hard drive and remove the drives from the server.

I was able to successfully copy C: to G: and D: to F: drives. But alas when I remove the G: and F: drives from my HP G7 server the server fails to boot.

Using the "msconfig.exe" I validated that the server still boots from the C: drive however it seems boot configuration data has been written to the G: drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running "bcdedit" from command line everything seems to be fine.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {990626c9-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Server 2008 R2
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {990626cb-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {990626c9-61a4-11e2-a064-e1dbb3ca5a60}
nx                      OptOut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However by  checking active disks display that G: drive is active which is not my intention and I am worried about taking rendering it inactive else the production server might refuse to start up:

(C:)                          Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
(G:)                         Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
New Volume (D:)      Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
New Volume (F:)      Simple    Basic     NTFS    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My original server (C: and D:) no longer boots when I remove drives (G: and F:). How do I safely restore my server to status quo, if I physically remove the alien hard disks (G: and F:). Please this is urgent.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew_Serna
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Maddy888
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

HI,

Take a look at the techno

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186534