cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Plan a Backup Solution with SSR 2013

Meenduser
Level 3

I have two servers on two boxes. One on a physical machine [Windows Server 2003, Enterprise, 32 Bit] and one on another box, running on VM ware 5.0 ESXi, Windows Server 2008. I currently back up these two servers using Backup Exec to a tape drive in my 2003 machine. My Windows 2003 box needs to be retired. I need help to plan the backup options for my new set up. 

I am hoping to consolidate two boxes in to one box by installing Win 2012, 64 bit and migrating my existing Win 2008 R2 [currently on an VM session] to a hyper V session on the new box. I have two options for backing up the base box and the new hyper V session. I have two licenses for SSR 2013, I have one BKExec 2012 and one BK Exec 2012 Windows agent. I am not sure which one I should use or should I use both for backing up my two servers.

In this scenario, how do I go about getting the correct hardware and set up. Please help. [My base new Win 2012 server will be a Domain controller, Fax server, Remote Desktop Server, File Server and will have the fax board and tape drive if I am planning to use it]. We are a small office so, I guess it should be okay? The hyper V session will be a database server [Win 2008 R2, 64 bit].

Hard Ware: I was thinking of getting a new box with 8 or more hard drives. Allocate appropriate hard drives to create a RAID 1 [for Win 2012] and RAID 5 [for the databases and hyper V session] and reserve two drives for another RAID 1 for hard drive backup using SSR 2013? [The estimated capacity or allocation of hard drive space for the base server will be a Max of 300 GB, The hyper V session a max of 400 GB]

Questions:

1) Am I thinking correctly for the set up?. If so is the plan for hard ware appropriate, if so how many drives will I need?

2) If appropriate how big should the RAID 1 backup hard drives should be like 1 TB or 2 TB? 

3) Should I now back up using SSR 2013 [I have 2 licenses] or should I use the tape backup with BkUp Exec 2012 [I have a server license and windows agent] or can I use both since I do have the tape drive and tapes already. [ really want to be able to use the SSR since imaging will make disaster recovery easier?]

Thanks for your help and advice.

3 REPLIES 3

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

The setup for hardware is fine.

Also you can use both SSR as well as Backup Exec.

SSR helps you perform a drive restore and Backup Exec helps you perform file and folder restore ( Application ).

Questions:

1) Am I thinking correctly for the set up?. If so is the plan for hard ware appropriate, if so how many drives will I need?

ANS : YES. Hard - drive can be created as per the data on your machine.

2) If appropriate how big should the RAID 1 backup hard drives should be like 1 TB or 2 TB?

ANS : 1TB shall work.  

3) Should I now back up using SSR 2013 [I have 2 licenses] or should I use the tape backup with BkUp Exec 2012 [I have a server license and windows agent] or can I use both since I do have the tape drive and tapes already. [ really want to be able to use the SSR since imaging will make disaster recovery easier?]

ANS : SSR helps you perform a drive restore and Backup Exec helps you perform file and folder restore ( Application ).

Hope this helps!

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201318  - SCL for SSR 2013

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6256  - User's Guide for SSR 2013

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200971  - General Information for SSR 2013

Meenduser
Level 3

Thanks Raj