cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Priority Failure Notification (Error) from Symantec System Recovery

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I received the following email this morning.

This is from a Windows 7 computer that has had the hard drive replaced twice under warranty in the past three years.

I am currently running chkdsk /f /r with the hopes of "correcting" whatever seems to be wrong.

Please also note that the back-up files go to a NAS device that has more than 330 GB free space.

Any additional help in identifying the actual culprit would be much appreciated.

Date: 12/9/2015 7:01:40 AM

Notification Type: Error

Priority: High

Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of System Reserved (*:\), OS (C:\).

Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental recovery point.

Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy54 cannot read 7632 sectors starting at LBA 109539840.

Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.'

Details: 0xE0BB0083

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Checkdisk sounds good to me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Checkdisk sounds good to me.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to chkdsk, try these KB articles as well -

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000010095

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000041638

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Did the checkdisk work out?

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Markus,

After about 2 hours and a reboot, it appears that the issue has been bypassed.

And I say that cautiously because I still don't know what the problem may have been in the first place.  That this particular computer would experience such a high degree of failures is exasperating.

Keeping a client from working for that long a time is also painful when I can't offer an explanation to the owner as to why this is happening (and seemingly, only to this one computer).

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I don't think they helped; they merely confused.

The first article suggests turning on Verify.

The second article suggests turning off Verify and turning on Ignore bad sectors.

So which is it?

And neither of the articles describes what to do with this particular error - Disk I/O