cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Should I Move SSR 2013 Management Solution to another Server

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Apologies if this has been asked previously, we need to urgently move our Symantec System Recovery 2013 Management Solution installation to another server and I wanted to know what options were available to me.

I'm guessing I will first need to install a fresh installation of SSR 2013 R2 MS on the new Windows 2012 server, the existing install is on a windows 2008R2.

But then how do I migrate all of the existing client PC's, about 100 or so, with their backups between the old and new Management Solution Server?

Many Thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21

criley
Employee Accredited

These are the basic steps needed:

1. Install SMP/SSR-MS on new server
  2. Point the new install of SMP to your existing database
  3. Redirect clients to new server (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO44165)

Hope this helps.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I'll see if I can find the documentation I created from the first tme I installed it. I'm pretty sure there were a few gotchas which prevented it installing the first time around.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Apologies, but can I clarify why step 3 is necessary.

The note mentions redirecting managed computers that are on version 6 notification server to version 7.1.

I will not be changing the versions of the compenents but wish to have the clients communicate with a different server.

criley
Employee Accredited

I think this article is more relevant: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO10878.

Even though it's for 7.0, I believe it still applies for when moving from 7.1 to 7.5.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Thanks for that.

I am going from 7.6 to 7.6, but on different servers, is this still an export/import type deal?

criley
Employee Accredited

7.6 is not supported yet:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211862

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Sorry, getting ahead of myself. 7.5 it is then.

Do you know what would happen if I have an existing server say example1 which is running ssr 2013 r2 and then during the install on example2 I say use an existing database which is currently being used by example1.

criley
Employee Accredited

Sharing the database? I would say that's probably not recommended.

I'm checking on a few things here. Let me get back to you on this ...

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

oops I think you're right, the old server is complaining that it is unable to find a package when my colleague tried to install the SSR client on a new pc.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I'm wondering what happens with the clients when they try to back up. Say they are currently backing up to

server1\k: and now I have installed the software on server2.

How can I switch all clients to back up to the new server?

criley
Employee Accredited

The backup policy would need to be modified (or create new policy).

In terms of migrating the policies, I am not sure that this is possible. This is one of the points I am checking on here, as mentioned earlier.

I hope to have a more definitive answer by early next week.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Thanks, I'm thinking to scrap the install on the new server and revert the database back to a copy taken earlier.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, so the steps I shared earlier should allow you to migrate to a new server.

As mentioned already, you may also need to create new backup destinations and then modify your existing backup policies to use the new destination(s).

I plan to document this soon in a public TechNote. However, our knowledgebase is currently 'frozen' due to a planned upgrade soon.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Many Thanks for your help.

Would I be right in thinking that the Client Symantec Agent Needs to be restarted in order for it to pick up the revised notification server and storage destination. Is there an easy way of doing this across site?

Also do we need to keep the old notification server running in case clients are off line and haven't picked up the change in server?

criley
Employee Accredited

I am not aware that the agents need restarting. It should just be a case of letting them sync with the new server once they have polled the server according to their update schedule (by default, this is set to 1 hour).

Yes, it may be an idea the leave the old server running for a few days in order to allow all machine to pickup the change.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

There appears to be some leftover references to the old server when trying to push packages to clients.

It attempts to download the package from the old server.

Would you know where it would get this information from, and is it something that can be changed at the console?

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry, no. This may require a support case so we can investigate further.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I believe there is a reluctance on the support side to deal with my issues because I am running SSR 2013 R2 from Windows 2012 server.

It hasn't been signed off by development yet despite it being almost Apr 2015 and the product name includes 2013.

I wonder if there are plans for a SSR 2015 to come out.

criley
Employee Accredited

I believe there is a reluctance on the support side to deal with my issues because I am running SSR 2013 R2 from Windows 2012 server.

Do you mean that you have installed the Management Solution on Windows 2012?

Only Windows 2012 R2 is supported, as per Page 4 of http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965. Windows 2012 has never been supported with the Management Platform.