cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you setup a Security Role in BESR 2010-MS

Netdawg
Level 3
Greetings.  Newbie to BESR 2010, but very familiar with what used to be called Altiris.  I loaded the Management Console, pushed the Altiris Agent, BESR Plugin, and BESR software.  When I log into the Management Console as the Application Identity, the BESR portal pages look perfect.  Machines are backing up and reporting in.  When I'm pulling the Management Console page as an NT User that has admin rights on the Management Solution server, admin rights on the desktop, and in the Symantec Administrator's group, no data appears to flow to the webparts.  IT is like the NT account I'm using doesn't have a security role to the BESR solution.  I went through Altiris Roles, and I don't see a dedicated role for BESR administrator.  Anybody got any ideas how I can make a couple NT users backup administrators?  I've been through the install manual, this forum, and Altiris KB.  I'm coming up empty.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Netdawg
Level 3
I worked with a great Symantec engineer who found the problem.  When I setup the Symantec Administrator's group I put the apID in there as well as an AD user group that contained my NT account.  Apparently Symantec could not read the group I put in (although it found the group when searching for it).  I removed the AD group and populated with my NT account.  Now data flows nicely to the webparts on the portal page for BESR.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You can configure it here: Altiris Console-->Settings-->Security-->Roles.

Netdawg
Level 3
This is the first place I looked.  Obviously, I'm missing something or I don't follow the process.  Going to Altiris Console - Settings-Security-Roles, I see Symantec Administrators, Patch Management Administrators, Symantec Level 1 Workers, Symantec Level 2, blah, blah.  I don't see any Role associated with BESR.  When I look at the permissions associated with each role I do see, I don't see any section called BESR.  Am I supposed to have a role called BESR Administrator or something like that?  Sorry, I figured this has to be there.  I've spent about two days trying to figure out how to turn it on.

Netdawg
Level 3
One more note.  The NT account that is not able to see data in BESR webparts, is in the Symantec Administrators role already.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You can see which permissons a role has using Altiris Console-->Settings-->Security-->Permissions. There you can enable the permissions that a role has. I think if you create a new role and adjust the permissons to your needs, this should work out for you.

Netdawg
Level 3
I worked with a great Symantec engineer who found the problem.  When I setup the Symantec Administrator's group I put the apID in there as well as an AD user group that contained my NT account.  Apparently Symantec could not read the group I put in (although it found the group when searching for it).  I removed the AD group and populated with my NT account.  Now data flows nicely to the webparts on the portal page for BESR.