cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Backup bootable CF cards

brombasch_cgi
Level 4

Hi,

I have Windows 7 and SSR 2013 installed on a machine (machine 1). I have an other machine (machine 2) that has Windows 7 installed on a CF card. Machine 2 only has this CF card installed as a system disk. Now I want to plugin the CF card from my machine 2 into the running machine 1 using a card reader and then perform a backup of the whole CF card. The CF card shows correctly in the harddisk management of machine 1 (see attachment 1). SSR2013, however, does not show me one of the volumes on that CF card (see attachment 2).

How can I get SSR 2013 to backup my CF card?

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Maybe you can try to disable the unused slots in the card reader ? --> https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-does-not-find-drives

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any progress here ?

brombasch_cgi
Level 4

Hi Markus,

unfortunately this did not help at all.

First, in the storage management, the unused slots do not show. Also, in the device manager there is only one entry for the card reader. Thus I cannot disable anything, otherwhise the card I want to backup will not be available anymore.

Reading the link you provided I would also strongly agree with cfelliot that this is not a solution.

Dave_H1
Level 4

Pardon me but what does "wechselmedium" mean, is that "removable"?

I don't use CF cards but I have a couple laptops that I boot to SDHC cards and those have never shown up in SSR either.  I thought they were unsupported just like flash drives.

If it's any help, I can image them with Ghost Solution Suite and that will restore everything but the boot sector. In my case I'm using grub so after I restore the image I need to reinstall grub to make them bootable again.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Dave