cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Swap 2 Drives Usage of Backup Exec System Recovery Server 2010

JStellato
Level 3
We have a continual problem with BE2010 and all previous versions.  The issue is that unlick Backup Exec  for Windows Servers the Hard Drives are not assigned into a Media Pool.  Most of our customers will purchase the software and two hard drives.  Because they usually only have one server, the simple backup to a hard drive image everynight is a perfectly acceptable way to backup.  However everynight when the backup runs, it will look for a specific backup device instead of a media pool, and if the device isn't plugged in the backup fails.

This is very frustrating, because our customers want to simply have two external hard drives, and take one off site everyday.  Pretty simple setup yet seemingly unobtainable.

Is there a way to configure this in BE2010 that I don't know of?
4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this help?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/298077

JStellato
Level 3
Well, no this only is effective when you use Offsite Copy, which basically needs 3 Drives at a minimum.  One that is permanantly attached, and two to swap.

Is there anyway to do this without using 3 Drives and just using 2?

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure I understand why you need 3 drives..? Could you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve.

swixt
Level 4
if the backup 'destination' changes for a defined backup, regardless of what the off-site is set for, it will fail... correct?