cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install the Symantec Management Agent by users without local administrator rights

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4

Sadly it isn't possible for us to deploy the Symantec Management Agent from the SSR2011 console. See one of my previous posts.

Since we have more than 200 laptops that we want to backup using SSR2011, it would be great if we can deploy the SMA on some other ways:

I tried to run the install at some clients from the Download Page URL. Users with local administrator rights can install the Agent, Others without these rights, won't install the agent. Since most users don't have local administrators this won't be a good solution.

We would like one of the following options:

- Deploying the SMA by MSI-file by Active Directory

- Create some kind of installer.exe that users can use to install the software without to change lcoal admin rights (This was the way we used succesfully with Symantec Backupexec for desktop 8.5)

Any other suggestion is welcome.

Can anyone help with our urgent problem?

Best regards,

Danny ter Horst

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4

Since the pushing of the SMA is finallt working, this post isn't usefull anymore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried to run the AexNSC.exe with the following paramters:

AexNSC.exe-s -a -ns=SSRMSSERVERNAME NOSTARTMENU OKTOREBOOT /S /ADDREMOVE

This runs the installaton of the Symantec Management Agent in a silent manner.

AexNSC.exe can be found on the SSR MS server.

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4

Sadly the parameters you wrote are not working. I did troubleshooting myself and found some errors in your list.

When I used this:

AexNSC.exe-s -a -ns=(Our SERVERNAME) NOSTARTMENU OKTOREBOOT /S /ADDREMOVE

It gaves an error about the -s option. So I tried:

AexNSC.exe -s -a -ns=(Our SERVERNAME) NOSTARTMENU OKTOREBOOT /S /ADDREMOVE

(Notice the extra space in front of the -s). Now I can see the computer is doing something.... but nothing in eventlog and no icon visable. After some more googling, I discoverd some more errors in your string:

AexNSC.exe -s -a ns=(Our SERVERNAME) NOSTARTMENU OKTOREBOOT /S NOADDREMOVE 

But still nothing happened. Since I want to see what is happening I removed the silent strings:

AexNSC.exe -a ns=(Our SERVERNAME) NOSTARTMENU OKTOREBOOT NOADDREMOVE 

Now I can see that the software is extracted to C:\Documents abd Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp.

After the extraction finished...... it is deadly quiet......It seems nothing is happening?

I even tried:

AexNSC.exe -a ns=(Our SERVERNAME)

Same old boring story......

Hope anyone can give me some clue

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4

Since the pushing of the SMA is finallt working, this post isn't usefull anymore.