cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate from Ghost 15 HW to new hardware with Recover Anywhere

dmcmillen
Level 4

I am replacing my current Win7 PC running Ghost 15 with a new PC (different hw, of course).  Right now the new pc is bare metal with no sw installed on it.  I want to migrate to my new PC with Recover Anywhere.  I am trying to figure out what I need to do to accomplish this. 

Do the recovery points (system reserve & C) have to be created with SSR (I am assuming that the correct product would be SSR 2013 Desktop) or can they be created by Ghost 15?  Do they have to be hot or cold, cold being created from the SRD.  If the recovery points have to be created by SSR that means I will have to install SSR on my current machine.  Symantec tells me I cannot upgrade SSR over Ghost 15, that I have to first uninstall Ghost and then install SSR (I find that pretty ugly and amazing that it would even be developed that way). 

If I can use Ghost 15 recovery points, how to I create an SSR SRD to boot from my new PC in order to do the do the RA?  Sure sounding like I'm going to have to install SSR on my current machine.  Is it possible to boot the new machine from my Ghost 15 SRD and recover anyhere?  I don't think that's even an option because I don't know that Ghost 15 supports RA. 

What things do I need to look out for with an RA recovery?  I know any sw that is hw dependent will require reinstalling or reactivating (like Windows and Office).  Any caveats? 

This is my 1st RA so, so I would appreciate some help here.  I have had no luck with Symantec tech spt.

David

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

Do the recovery points (system reserve & C) have to be created with SSR (I am assuming that the correct product would be SSR 2013 Desktop) or can they be created by Ghost 15?

>> The recovery points (system reserve & C) have to be created with SSR 

Do they have to be hot or cold, cold being created from the SRD. 

>> You can do both hot and cold, but cold backup misses to backup the Windows NT files so the preferred way is Hot backup for which you will have to install SSR

If the recovery points have to be created by SSR that means I will have to install SSR on my current machine. 

>> Yes you will have to install SSR on machine

Symantec tells me I cannot upgrade SSR over Ghost 15, that I have to first uninstall Ghost and then install SSR (I find that pretty ugly and amazing that it would even be developed that way). 

>> Symantec is right, both the products are different and have different features and registries, libraries. 
So uninstall Ghost and install SSR

If I can use Ghost 15 recovery points, how to I create an SSR SRD to boot from my new PC in order to do the do the RA? 

>> You need to download SSR 2013 Recovery disk, use the ISO image and create SRD , boot from the SRD and use Ghost recovery points to perform the recovery

Sure sounding like I'm going to have to install SSR on my current machine.  Is it possible to boot the new machine from my Ghost 15 SRD and recover anyhere? I don't think that's even an option because I don't know that Ghost 15 supports RA. 

>> Right as Ghost does not support RA , you can boot from SSR SRD and use Ghost recovery points to perform RA

What things do I need to look out for with an RA recovery?  I know any sw that is hw dependent will require reinstalling or reactivating (like Windows and Office).  Any caveats? 

This is my 1st RA so, so I would appreciate some help here.  I have had no luck with Symantec tech spt.

>> If it is a Windows 7\Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and you are using SSR SRD to perform the recovery use the tech articles as below :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

Better use .sv2i file and using the same even if you click on next -> next -> and finish, it must restore for you without any issue.

If there is a BSOD , please open a ticket with support.

Note:

SRD for SSR 2013 can be created if you have the downloads for SSR 2013 install and SRD 

Recently we have release SSR 2013 R2 and as Microsoft recommendations there is no SRD distribution.

Thus if you download SSR 2013 R2 from fileconnect , you will have to install SSR 2013 R2 and create SRD by downloading Microsoft ADK 8.1

If you have a download for SSR 2013_English_Recovery_Disk_Only. then you can start creating the SRD using the ISO and try to boot from CD and perform a restore.

Hope this helps !!

View solution in original post

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SSR 2013 R2 no longer ships with a recovery disk, as per new Microsoft licensing. A recovery disk creation tool is included with SSR 2013 R2. Once installed, the recovery disk is created using existing operating system files on your system. This is the only way to obtain a recovery disk. As such, you could create a new image file within SSR 2013 R2 in Windows, and use Restore Anyware when restoring it to the new system.

If you boot up the recovery disk and the hard drive on the new system is not be seen, it will be necessary to load the disk controller\chipset drivers so SSR can see the drive(s). That can be done by loading them from within the recovery, or the drivers can be added to the recovery disk during creation.  The system should then restore to the new drive and boot up into a mode where new hardware is detected and installed. If you can get to that point, typically it is then a matter of locating the correct Windows drivers for all of hardware that Windows does not install.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Follow the technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112 and you should be fine. If the disk drives on the new system can be seen from within the recovery environment, there shouldn't be a need for additional drivers. If you get stuck, let us know. 

5 REPLIES 5

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello

Do the recovery points (system reserve & C) have to be created with SSR (I am assuming that the correct product would be SSR 2013 Desktop) or can they be created by Ghost 15?

>> The recovery points (system reserve & C) have to be created with SSR 

Do they have to be hot or cold, cold being created from the SRD. 

>> You can do both hot and cold, but cold backup misses to backup the Windows NT files so the preferred way is Hot backup for which you will have to install SSR

If the recovery points have to be created by SSR that means I will have to install SSR on my current machine. 

>> Yes you will have to install SSR on machine

Symantec tells me I cannot upgrade SSR over Ghost 15, that I have to first uninstall Ghost and then install SSR (I find that pretty ugly and amazing that it would even be developed that way). 

>> Symantec is right, both the products are different and have different features and registries, libraries. 
So uninstall Ghost and install SSR

If I can use Ghost 15 recovery points, how to I create an SSR SRD to boot from my new PC in order to do the do the RA? 

>> You need to download SSR 2013 Recovery disk, use the ISO image and create SRD , boot from the SRD and use Ghost recovery points to perform the recovery

Sure sounding like I'm going to have to install SSR on my current machine.  Is it possible to boot the new machine from my Ghost 15 SRD and recover anyhere? I don't think that's even an option because I don't know that Ghost 15 supports RA. 

>> Right as Ghost does not support RA , you can boot from SSR SRD and use Ghost recovery points to perform RA

>> If it is a Windows 7\Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and you are using SSR SRD to perform the recovery use the tech articles as below :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

Better use .sv2i file and using the same even if you click on next -> next -> and finish, it must restore for you without any issue.

If there is a BSOD , please open a ticket with support.

Note:

SRD for SSR 2013 can be created if you have the downloads for SSR 2013 install and SRD 

Recently we have release SSR 2013 R2 and as Microsoft recommendations there is no SRD distribution.

Thus if you download SSR 2013 R2 from fileconnect , you will have to install SSR 2013 R2 and create SRD by downloading Microsoft ADK 8.1

If you have a download for SSR 2013_English_Recovery_Disk_Only. then you can start creating the SRD using the ISO and try to boot from CD and perform a restore.

Hope this helps !!

dmcmillen
Level 4

Thanks for all the info TRaj.  The http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112 article helped a lot. If I am to understand you, I CAN recover from my Ghost 15 hot backup file(s) using the SSR SRD WITHOUT installing SSR on my old machine by:

(1)  I  Purchase the SSR 2013 R2 Desktop download which for some reason does NOT include SRD. 

(2)  Download the SSR 2013_English_Recovery_Disk_Only on my old machine and create the SRD from the iso file

(3) Boot the new machine from the SRD (created in 2) and recover...

If this is correct:

(a) Once I purchase SSR 2013 R2 Desktop, where/how do I download the SSR 2013_English_Recovery_Disk_Only??

(b) What problems can I expect / what should I look for after my new machine boots??  I know that any software that is hardware dependent will require reinstalling or reactivating like Win7 or MS Office.  For example, would there be a problem if Win7 is an OEM version?  Can you point me towards any articles, info, etc. that deal with typical problems to be expected. 

Please note that I am trying to avoid uninstalling Ghost and installing SSR on my old machine.

David

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SSR 2013 R2 no longer ships with a recovery disk, as per new Microsoft licensing. A recovery disk creation tool is included with SSR 2013 R2. Once installed, the recovery disk is created using existing operating system files on your system. This is the only way to obtain a recovery disk. As such, you could create a new image file within SSR 2013 R2 in Windows, and use Restore Anyware when restoring it to the new system.

If you boot up the recovery disk and the hard drive on the new system is not be seen, it will be necessary to load the disk controller\chipset drivers so SSR can see the drive(s). That can be done by loading them from within the recovery, or the drivers can be added to the recovery disk during creation.  The system should then restore to the new drive and boot up into a mode where new hardware is detected and installed. If you can get to that point, typically it is then a matter of locating the correct Windows drivers for all of hardware that Windows does not install.

dmcmillen
Level 4

Thanks Andy.  Makes sense that a physical SRD would not be included.  Windows detects new hardware on regular bootup. Are you suggesting I boot the system into another mode for new hardware detection such as safe mode? May have read more into your comment than was there. 

Any other things to look out for?  I can see some interesting sw problems for different disk configurations.  I'm planning on moving existing disk drives over to new system so I don't think that will be a problem.  And of course there's the ms activation issues for Windows & Office.  Can't think of anything else I've got that's tied to hardware but I may not know. 

On the recovery, do I point to the Sytem Reserve recovery point and SSR knows to recover the System Reserve partition and the full C: partition automatically or do I have to recover them separately?

Thanks for your help,  David

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Follow the technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112 and you should be fine. If the disk drives on the new system can be seen from within the recovery environment, there shouldn't be a need for additional drivers. If you get stuck, let us know.