cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "prune" backup destination when full

Lancorp
Level 2
So I have backup jobs that run nightly, and defined to have a particular number of recovery points (best guessed number that will fit on the destination).
Normally, BESR does a pretty good job of taking care of things itself, when I don't overestimate the number of recovery points to put on a destination.

BUT, when the destination is full (or does not have enough free space to complete a new recovery point before the set number of recovery points has
been reached), it sends a "successful" report with the following information:

High Priority Success Notification (Info) from Backup Exec System Recovery on SERVERxxxx

Date: 8/6/2010 22:43:28 PM
Notification Type: Info
Priority: High
Description: Error EBAB03F1: The operation was canceled by the user.
Info 6C8F1C2F: A recovery point operation on drive Drive Backup of (C:\) was cancelled by the user.
                Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
                                Error E7D1003C: There is not enough space.
                                                Error EBAB03F1: There is not enough space on the disk.
Details: The operation was canceled by the user.

First, why is it a SUCCESS notification?????  When browsing my email, and I see "Success", call me crazy, but that tells me it was SUCCESSFUL!
Shouldn't it be a FAILURE or ERROR email???

Second, how do I prune the recovery points to that there is room for it to continue????

This process is not very intuitive (to me), and certainly is not a "set and forget" program.

One last thing...is it even possible to use removable media?  Best practice is to rotate backup destination media, but I cannot see how you can assign
multiple backup destinations to a job.  When we replace a backup drive (say drive X:) with a new backup drive (say drive Y:), now BESR won't work.  
Am I missing something???

Any help on these things is greatly appreciated!
1 REPLY 1

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You can change the number of recovery points to be kept by configuring the option "recovery point set" of the backup. This forces BESR to delete unneeded recovery points automatically. In case you need to delete recovery points manually you need to click "Manage backup destination" on the drives tab. There you can delete old recovery points and using Tasks-->Settings set some advanced options.

It's possible to use removable devices: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/howto-usb-drive-rotation-besr-70-85