cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update version of Symantec System recovery 2011 to Sp2

ravora
Level 3

I'm trying to update the version of SSR 2011 to SP2 using SIM (Symantec Installation manager 7.1) however I am unable to find a way of doing this.

The Installation manager shows no updates currently available.

Let me explain myself.

I wish to push the SP2 version of SSR 2011 to PC clients using the Symantec System Recovery Management Solution console.

I was able to loacte a download that updates the version to SP2 but this exe can only be run on the PC client where SP1 already exists.

What is the process of upgrading the version of the Install that the Management Server pushes out to the clients?

Any advise of where to look in terms of documentation or solution to known problems would be most gratefully received.

Many Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

That is the problem then.

Change it to symantec.pl and you should see it connecting and finding updates.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you downloaded the installer for SP2 using the SIM already ?

I think this package is called "Symantec System Recovery 2011 Installer SP2".

if yes you simply need to push out the new version using the packages and polices section in the SSR MS console.

ravora
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, I'm afraid I'm unable to see any updates via the SIM. How would you get the SIM to populate the updates that are available?

I tried updating my Proxy settings but this didn't make any difference. Maybe there's a firewall issue.

Is there a way of manually downloading the updated package to my desktop and then copying it to somewhere on the SIM server?

criley
Employee Accredited

May seem like a dumb question but I assume the management solution server has an internet connection?

Also check this:

1. Open SIM
  2. Click on Settings (top right corner)
  3. Confirm name of product listing file; is it symantec.pl or SSRMS.pl?

ravora
Level 3

Not a dumb question, and yes I am able to surf the web from the server so I guess the internet is working.

3, The name of the file is SSRMS.pl.xml

criley
Employee Accredited

That is the problem then.

Change it to symantec.pl and you should see it connecting and finding updates.

ravora
Level 3

Many Thanks. This has Updated the version of SIM and I can now see two updates that I required

criley
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear that worked. Please mark the thread as solved then.

ravora
Level 3

Looks like my celebrations were some what premature.

It appears to be stuck downloading install files, at 190MB of 706MB. I think it may be the company Firewall software.

Is there a way of downloading the files via an alternative pc and transferring the files to the server?

ravora
Level 3

I've been told the trend scanning software that we use here can have exceptions provided I can give it the address of the site the downloads originate from.

Would you know what the site SIM goes to download updates is?

Many Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

It's possible to do it manually using the full build of SSR 2011 SP2.

However, I would recommend you get this issue fixed as otherwise you are going to run into the same problem with future updates for the management solution. All updates for the management solution are done via SIM.

criley
Employee Accredited

I believe it is www.solutionsam.com

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

I have the same problem, updates are not listed, but I have no symantec.pl file, if i try to change SSMRS.pl.xml to symantec.pl I get error. What should I do?

criley
Employee Accredited

What error do you see?

kno1111
Level 3

I have changed it symantec.pl and get the following error: The product listing located at http://www.solutionsam.com/solutions/pl/symantec.pl.xml.zip could not be accessed. I am able to access it from the web browser but not SIM.