cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper V System Recovery

tonycws
Level 2

I need to setup a new server for SQL server and a web hosting purpose. The server may need 1-2 hyper v virtual machine running in the host.

I will install Symantec System Recovery Server Edition in the host server for preform regular backup and restore.

I have a question, if a user deleted a file in the hyper v virtual machine. Can I recover it through the Symantec System Recovery on the host?

If no, is that means I need to install 3 Symantec System Recovery Server Edition (one in the host, one in hyper v virtual machine and one in another hyper v virtual machine) in order to recover the hyper v virtual machine?

thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

Correct. If you need to perform granular-level restores of files from inside the VMs, you need to install SSR on each VM and back them up individually (as you would any physical server).

Hope that helps.

tonycws
Level 2

thanks Chris.

How about Symantec System Recovery Virtual Edition? What's the difference between Server Edition and Virtual Edition?

If I installed SSR Virtual Edition in the host, can I backup and restore files for the VM through the SSR Vrtual Edition?

criley
Employee Accredited

Technically speaking there are no differences between server and virtual edition.

Virtual Edition is a bundle that makes it more cost effective to protect your guest machines - with this you can install SSR on an unlimited number of Windows guests (per host).

Hope that helps.

CQ
Level 5

If tonycws is running a host server OS (like Win 2012/Win 2008 R2) that is capable of mounting a VHD/VHDX, the following approach will work:

Mount the appropriate SSR recovery point then browse to the hyper-v virtual hard drive (VHD/VHDX) of the VM that has the needed file.  Mount the VHD/VHDX from the recovery point on the host and you can browse within the VHD/VHDX and find the needed file.

I have used this approach and it allowed me to find a file I needed.