cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISCSI mapped drives to SAN

grazer
Level 2

Hi all,

I am new to BESR Server and have today downloaded the evaluation software.

I have a basic question before I start backing up. We have two servers which have iscsi drive mappings to an HP SAN.

So we have drives C, D, F (SAN) and G (SAN). The data on the SAN is SQL data.

How to I approach this backup, as the F and G drives are too large to fit on the external drive I am using (although they would fit individually). The destination server is offsite, and has plenty disk space (albeit onboard as opposed to SAN).

Any suggestions very welcome.

Best regards,

Graham

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

And you want to backup both servers, and both have the SQL data ? What is your backup target for this servers ? An external drive or another server ?

grazer
Level 2

Hi Markus,

Only one server is connected to the SAN, and it has two iscsi connected drives, one to SQL data and one to a document store. These are around 900gb each in size.

So one server is straightforward (I hope) to do straight full DR backup.

The second server, running SQL and with the iscsi drives has c: and d: drive (local)  and f: and g: (iscsi).

I have 2 spare servers, but these are not connected to our network.  I want to take a full backup of each live server (to a USB HDD) and restore this to a spare server.

This is a DR project, and I need to prove that I can take 'image' backups of our servers, take these on USB HDD Drives to an offsite DR location, and restore them to spare servers and get our systems (SQL, etc) available again quickly.

I hope this info helps.

Regards, Graham

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, if you really have only this ONE USD drive your only chance is to enable strong compression to squeeze both backups to this device.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this pos as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Would you please mark this post as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved ?