cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITMS 7.1 and BESR 2010

Jesse_A__Gonzal
Level 2

Does anyone have a roadmap for BESR 2010? (And why do companies still put dates into their product names...)  

I purchased BESR 2010 Desktop licenses that I intended on managing through Notification Server 7.0. When the Altiris Inventory, Software Management, and Patch Management updates came out in December of 2010, it rendered my installation of BESR 2010 on the NS unusable as it was clearly marked as incompatible through the SIM.

With the advent of ITMS 7.1, I upgraded our installation hoping it would potentially bring back the functionality of centrally managing our desktop backups. It was no surprise, but it did not.

Currently, we have invested poorly in purchasing licenses that were originally compatible with our infrastructure that became rendered useless by the manufacturer 3 months after purchasing. I need the functionality back and I am wondering if any BESR patch is in the making to make it manageable the the Symantec Management Platform 7.1.   

If I want to use BESR 2010, I'll need to revert to a backup from November 2010 - that is not going to happen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jesse_A__Gonzal
Level 2

This is the issue in which I was referring. 

Originally, for my 7.0 installation I received the incompatibility statement in the SIM. I opened a case, which was bounced from the BESR team to the Altiris team twice through the month of January (2011). At no time did the Symantec support staff suggest the document you linked. That's too bad. 

While this was happening, we were testing ITMS 7.1.

On March 7th, we upgraded our NS 7 to SMP 7.1 with ITMS. So, we will continue to wait for the functionality to arrive.

I'll mark this as solved, but my primary request was for a product roadmap. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited

Is this the issue you are referring to? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146778

This issue should now be resolved with the latest product listing file available via SIM.

However, it sounds like you have already upgraded to SMP 7.1 - is this correct? If yes, you are going to have to wait for the new version of BESR-MS (renamed to SSR-MS) which is being released early next month. The new version is compatible with SMP 7.1.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Jesse_A__Gonzal
Level 2

This is the issue in which I was referring. 

Originally, for my 7.0 installation I received the incompatibility statement in the SIM. I opened a case, which was bounced from the BESR team to the Altiris team twice through the month of January (2011). At no time did the Symantec support staff suggest the document you linked. That's too bad. 

While this was happening, we were testing ITMS 7.1.

On March 7th, we upgraded our NS 7 to SMP 7.1 with ITMS. So, we will continue to wait for the functionality to arrive.

I'll mark this as solved, but my primary request was for a product roadmap.