cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup is scheduled while computer is asleep

BJB
Level 5

I am a longtime SSR user, however up until now I have never used the scheduled backup option.

I have a NAS running 24X7 so thougth I would try it.

The longest length I could schedule was one week....so today it was scheduled to run at 5PM however the computer was asleep.  When I woke up the PC, I assumed it would run the missed backup but it did not.  The backup job says "attention needed" and the the next time it would be run is NEXT week.

That cannot possibly be the correct behaviour?   At best I expected it to wakeup the PC but did not have high hopes without scheduling some kind of LAN wakeup task.  But I certainly expected it to know it had missed an incremental backup and then run it, or ask to run it upon wakeup.

Ironically my other drive did run a few hours earlier.  I cannot tell if it ran at wakeup or if indeed the PC was awake at the appointed time.

As a side note how long as SSR18 been out?  As a registered user I received no email notificaiton a new user was out, just noticed it on this forum. Is it fairly stable and any new features?  Easier SRD creation?

Thanks,
BJB

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

FYI: http://www.veritas.com/docs/100006042

In my mind, VSR should ask if you want to run the missed backup once the machine is taken out of sleep mode. I will see if I can test this here.

VSR 18 was released last month, I'm not sure why you didn't get an email notification. All details are here about the release: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/System-Recovery/Veritas-System-Recovery-VSR-18-Available-now/m-p/846467#M...

Thanks for the tech article.  I am running the single desktop version, no console management so not sure if it helps?

I think it should ask too....  is there a way to manually tell it to at least execute the last missed scheduled backup manually?   Of course that defeats the use of the scheduled backup vs. trying to remember to run every so often. I would neglect that so why I went to the schedule.

Thanks,

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

Only thing you can do is to go an manually run the missed backup but, as you say, kind of defeats the purpose of scheduling.

I have already raised this internally as it is easy to reproduce. I'll come back to you once I get some feedback on this internally.